1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find the Kernel of the Trace of a Matrix

1. Oct 15, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Let F : Mnn(R) → R where F(A) =tr(A). Show that F is a linear transformation. Find the kernel of F as well as its dimension. What is the image of F?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I have shown that it is a linear transformation. But I am not sure about the Ker(F) and Im(F),
    would Ker(F) just be {tr(A), for A in Mnn}? And would the Im(F) just be {a : a[itex]\in[/itex]ℝ}? Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 15, 2012 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Do you understand what the problem is asking? You are gvien a linear transformation that maps every matrix to a number, its trace. This problem is asking for the trace of that linear transforamation- the set of matrices that are mapped to 0. It is asking for a set of matrices, not a set of numbers.

4. Oct 15, 2012 #3
    Okay, so would I say kernel is {A where tr(A)=0, for A in Mnn}? So what would the image be then? Thanks

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook