Linear Transformation involving pi/2

In summary, the conversation discusses the identities associated with transformations, specifically when the transformation is rotated about the origin through an angle β. The values of the transformation suddenly translate to trigonometric identities, such as sin and cos. The matrix representation of this counterclockwise rotation by an arbitrary angle β is provided.
dwn
Resource: Linear Algebra (4th Edition) -David C. Lay

I understand that there are identities associated with transformations, but what I don't understand is when the transformation is rotated about the origin through an angle β. I believe β in this case is [itex]\frac{}{}\pi/2[/itex]

[itex]\left[1,0\right][/itex] into [cos([itex]\beta[/itex]) , sin([itex]\beta[/itex])]
[itex]\left[0,1\right][/itex] into [-sin([itex]\beta[/itex]), cos([itex]\beta[/itex])]

Can someone please explain to me why this is the case? Why do these values suddenly translate to trig identities?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't understand the question. "...β in this case..." What case?

Are you asking why (1,0) rotated counterclockwise by an angle of β is (cos β,sin β)? This is a very common way to define sin and cos. Do you want to use another definition?

I suppose my questions reiterates my confusion...haha.

There is something I'm not grasping in the definition of this counterclockwise rotation. How am I suppose to know the positive/negative values of the matrix and whether they're sin or cosine..? What if this type of rotation is not [itex]\pi[/itex]/2?

\begin{pmatrix}\cos\beta & -\sin\beta\\ \sin\beta & \cos\beta\end{pmatrix} is the matrix representation of a counterclockwise rotation by an arbitrary angle β. When ##\beta=\pi/2##, we have ##\sin\beta=1## and ##\cos\beta=0##, so the matrix representation of a counterclockwise rotation by ##\pi/2## is
\begin{pmatrix}0 & -1\\ 1 & 0\end{pmatrix}

Sometimes its difficult "to see the wood for the forest". That's all I will say.

Thanks for your clarifying this point for me.

1. What is a linear transformation involving pi/2?

A linear transformation involving pi/2 is a mathematical operation that involves rotating a vector or a set of points in a plane by an angle of pi/2 radians or 90 degrees. This rotation can also be thought of as a reflection about a line passing through the origin at an angle of pi/4 radians or 45 degrees.

2. How is pi/2 related to linear transformations?

The angle pi/2, or 90 degrees, is a common angle used in linear transformations because it results in a simple and intuitive transformation. It can be thought of as rotating a vector or set of points by a right angle, which is a common and easily visualized transformation.

3. What are some real-world applications of linear transformations involving pi/2?

Linear transformations involving pi/2 have various real-world applications, such as in computer graphics, where they are used to rotate objects on a screen. They are also used in robotics to control the movement of robotic arms and in navigation systems to calculate the orientation of a vehicle or object.

4. What is the difference between a linear transformation involving pi/2 and a general linear transformation?

A linear transformation involving pi/2 is a specific type of linear transformation that involves rotating by an angle of pi/2 or 90 degrees. A general linear transformation, on the other hand, can involve any type of transformation, such as scaling, shearing, or rotating by any angle.

5. How can I perform a linear transformation involving pi/2?

To perform a linear transformation involving pi/2, you can use a matrix transformation. The matrix for a pi/2 rotation in a two-dimensional plane is given by [[0, -1], [1, 0]], where the first row represents the transformed x-coordinate and the second row represents the transformed y-coordinate. You can also use geometric methods, such as using the properties of sine and cosine, to perform a pi/2 rotation.