Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Linear Transformation involving pi/2

1. Jun 9, 2013 #1

dwn

Resource: Linear Algebra (4th Edition) -David C. Lay

I understand that there are identities associated with transformations, but what I don't understand is when the transformation is rotated about the origin through an angle β. I believe β in this case is [itex]\frac{}{}\pi/2[/itex]

[itex]\left[1,0\right][/itex] into [cos([itex]\beta[/itex]) , sin([itex]\beta[/itex])]
    [itex]\left[0,1\right][/itex] into [-sin([itex]\beta[/itex]), cos([itex]\beta[/itex])]

Can someone please explain to me why this is the case? Why do these values suddenly translate to trig identities?

Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 9, 2013 #2

Fredrik

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I don't understand the question. "...β in this case..." What case?

Are you asking why (1,0) rotated counterclockwise by an angle of β is (cos β,sin β)? This is a very common way to define sin and cos. Do you want to use another definition?

4. Jun 9, 2013 #3

dwn

I suppose my questions reiterates my confusion...haha.

There is something I'm not grasping in the definition of this counterclockwise rotation. How am I suppose to know the positive/negative values of the matrix and whether they're sin or cosine..? What if this type of rotation is not [itex]\pi[/itex]/2?

5. Jun 9, 2013 #4

Fredrik

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

\begin{pmatrix}\cos\beta & -\sin\beta\\ \sin\beta & \cos\beta\end{pmatrix} is the matrix representation of a counterclockwise rotation by an arbitrary angle β. When ##\beta=\pi/2##, we have ##\sin\beta=1## and ##\cos\beta=0##, so the matrix representation of a counterclockwise rotation by ##\pi/2## is
    \begin{pmatrix}0 & -1\\ 1 & 0\end{pmatrix}

6. Jun 9, 2013 #5

dwn

Sometimes its difficult "to see the wood for the forest". That's all I will say.

Thanks for your clarifying this point for me.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook