Linear Transformation / Kernel Question

In summary, this conversation is trying to find a basis for the kernel of the function L. The author is trying to find a nonzero polynomial that's in the kernel, and lanedance is trying to help by providing a basis for the range of the function.
Gotejjeken

Homework Statement

L(p(t)) = t*dp/dt + t^2*p(1)

If p(t) = a*t^2 + b*t + c, find a basis for the kernel of L.

Homework Equations

None.

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that L(a*t^2 + b*t + c) = 0, so that would mean that the derivative needs to be zero and p(1) needs to be zero. This would lead me to believe a = b = c = 0, however {0,0,0} is not a basis. I am a bit confused here...

Physics news on Phys.org
substitute the given form for p(t) into L(p(t)). If L(p(t))=0 for all t, what can you say about the constants a,b,c. Try grouping powers of t...

Last edited:
If you want to solve L(at^2+bt+c)=0, you might want to actually write out what L(at^2+bt+c) is, before you jump the conclusion that the only solution is a=b=c=0.

Substituting p(t) in, I get:

L(p(t)) = t*(2*a*t + b) + t^2*(a+b+c) = 3*a*t^2+b*t^2+c*t^2 + b*t = t^2*(3*a + b + c) + t*(b)

so: t^2*(3*a + b + c) + t*(b) = 0.

It appears as if b must be 0 at the least. If 3*a + b + c = 0 => a = -c/3 and c = -3*a will make this term zero, so would a basis be something like:

{-3, 0, -1/3}?

Gotejjeken said:
Substituting p(t) in, I get:

L(p(t)) = t*(2*a*t + b) + t^2*(a+b+c) = 3*a*t^2+b*t^2+c*t^2 + b*t = t^2*(3*a + b + c) + t*(b)

so: t^2*(3*a + b + c) + t*(b) = 0.

It appears as if b must be 0 at the least. If 3*a + b + c = 0 => a = -c/3 and c = -3*a will make this term zero, so would a basis be something like:

{-3, 0, -1/3}?

That's pretty sloppy. Shouldn't a and c at least be opposite signs? Can you try that basis vector again?

After looking it over again (and writing my basis more carefully), I come up with a basis of:

ker(L) = {(-c/3)*t^2, 0, -3*a}

I tested a few values and this seems to check out fine...although knowing me I'm probably overlooking something again. In the same vein, is a basis for the range something like:

range(L) = {t, t^2}?

My book has both kernel and range defined, albeit in a very abstract way without examples, so needless to say I am quite confused on exact syntax for these two. Thanks for the continued help.

A basis of the kernel is a set of polynomials {p1(t),p2(t),...,pn(t)} which spans the kernel where the p's are linearly independent. Let's start out easy. Can you give me one nonzero polynomial that's in the kernel?

If a = 1, b = 0, and c = -3, then a*t^2 + b*t + c => t^2 -3 and:

L(t^2-3) = t*(2*t) + t^2*(1-3) = 2*t^2 - 2*t^2 = 0.

So t^2 - 3 is one non-zero polynomial in the kernel.

following on form Dick i just though i would add, you should probably define the meaning of your vector representatino of the polynomial
for example i would write it as (c,b,a) repesents the polynomial a*t2 + b*t + c, so for example
(1,0,0) = 1
(0,1,0) = t
(0,0,1) = t2

and so
(c,b,a) = a*t2 + b*t + c

Gotejjeken said:
After looking it over again (and writing my basis more carefully), I come up with a basis of:

ker(L) = {(-c/3)*t^2, 0, -3*a}
if you do it as above, i don't think there should be any t's in the vector expression

Gotejjeken said:
If a = 1, b = 0, and c = -3, then a*t^2 + b*t + c => t^2 -3 and:

L(t^2-3) = t*(2*t) + t^2*(1-3) = 2*t^2 - 2*t^2 = 0.

So t^2 - 3 is one non-zero polynomial in the kernel.

That's good. Now are there any other polynomials in the kernel that aren't multiples of (t^2-3)? And lanedance is right, you should be more clear on what you mean if you want to write that is as a 'vector'. (t^2-3) is (-3,0,1), right?

lanedance said:
following on form Dick i just though i would add, you should probably define the meaning of your vector representatino of the polynomial
for example i would write it as (c,b,a) repesents the polynomial a*t2 + b*t + c, so for example
(1,0,0) = 1
(0,1,0) = t
(0,0,1) = t2

and so
(c,b,a) = a*t2 + b*t + c

Using this, any vector of the form y * (-c/3, 0, -3a) (y is a scalar) will fall in the kernel of L. I cannot seem to find other polynomials that are not multiples of the vector above...so is that a basis for the kernel? I feel I may be getting close, however I am having a few syntax issues.

Gotejjeken said:
Using this, any vector of the form y * (-c/3, 0, -3a) (y is a scalar) will fall in the kernel of L. I cannot seem to find other polynomials that are not multiples of the vector above...so is that a basis for the kernel? I feel I may be getting close, however I am having a few syntax issues.

(-c/3,0,-3a) isn't a vector. It's a lot of different vectors depending on the values of c and a. And it's not even in the kernel unless 3*(-c/3)+(-3a)=0 or c=(-3a) which is the condition you posted earlier. Can you rethink this a little?

I'm not sure how to think of this then. I tried thinking of the kernel as a nullspace:

t^2(3a,b,c) + t(0,b,0) = 0

If I do this though, I obviously get that t^2 and t must both be zero. I thought it would suffice to say that any scalar multiplied by the vector (-1/3,0,-3) would yield a vector that would fall into the kernel if the vector representation (c,b,a) = a*t^2+b*t+c is used. Apparantley this is not the case, and I am more than a bit confused.

hmmm what happened, in post #8 you had t^2 - 3 in the kernel?

so going back there... evaluating L(p(t)) = 0 for arbitrary an 2nd order polynomial p(t) = a*t^2 + b*t + gave you 2 constrainst based on teh coefficients of t & t^2 being zero. S

So we have 2 equations to satisfy.
b = 0
c = -3a

Putting this all together shows the kernel of L is polynomials of the form
p(t) = at^2 -3a = a(t^2-3)
for any scalar a

Now in vector form, which i hope didn't confuse the matter but may have.

If we start with the 3D vector space spanned with basis 1,t,t^2 as per post 9. The kernel is the subspace spanned by the vector (-3,0,1). NOtcie there is no t dependence in the vector format

So the kernel is the subspace defined by the line through the origin in the direction (-3,0,1)

In effect we started with a 3D space of polynomials, with 2 unique constraints to satisfy, namely the coefficeints of t & t^2 being zero in the above equation. In effect each constraint represents a plane through the origin in the solution space & the intersection of the planes gives the final 1D line for the solution of the kernel (nullspace)

Last edited:

1. What is a linear transformation?

A linear transformation is a mathematical function that maps a set of input values to a set of output values in a way that preserves the operations of addition and scalar multiplication. In other words, the output is a linear combination of the input values.

2. How is a linear transformation represented?

A linear transformation can be represented using a matrix. The columns of the matrix represent the output vectors for each basis vector, and the rows represent the coefficients of the basis vectors in the input vector. The matrix can then be multiplied with an input vector to produce the output vector.

3. What is the kernel of a linear transformation?

The kernel, also known as the null space, of a linear transformation is the set of all input vectors that are mapped to the zero vector in the output space. In other words, it is the set of all vectors that are mapped to the origin.

4. How is the kernel of a linear transformation calculated?

The kernel can be calculated by solving the homogeneous system of equations represented by the matrix of the linear transformation. The solution to this system of equations will give the basis for the kernel, which can then be used to find all vectors in the kernel.

5. What is the relationship between the kernel and the range of a linear transformation?

The kernel and the range of a linear transformation are complementary subspaces. This means that the dimension of the kernel added to the dimension of the range will equal the dimension of the input space. In other words, the kernel and range together span the entire input space.