Linear transformations formula

In summary, the conversation is discussing a linear transformation T from R^3 to R^2, where the basis for R^3 is given as v1=(1,2,1), v2=(2,9,0), and v3=(3,3,4). T is defined as T(v1)=(1,0), T(v2)=(-1,1), and T(v3)=(0,1). The conversation then moves on to finding the formula for T(x1,x2,x3) and using it to find T(7,13,7). The person suggests writing the transformation in terms of linear combinations, but is having trouble solving for the coefficients. Another person suggests finding the matrix that performs the
Aerosion
Linear transformations...

Homework Statement

Can't figure these things out for my life. Seriously. Here's an example.

consider the basis S={v1, v2, v3} for R^3 where v1=(1,2,1), v2=(2,9,0) and v3=(3,3,4) and let T:R^3-->R^2 be the linear transformation such that:

T(v1)=(1,0) T(v2)=(-1,1) T(v3)=(0,1)

Find formula for T(x1,x2,x3) and use it to find T(7,13,7)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So here I am starting it, writing c1(1,2,1)+c2(2,9,0)-C3(3,3,0) to make C1+2C2+3C3, 2C1+9C2+3C3, C1+C3

c1+2c2+3c3=x1
2c1+4c2+3c3=x2
c1+ +4c3=x3

Now, I'm having trouble solving for c1, c2, and c3. The answers seem to be c1=36x1+8x2+21x3, c2=5x1-x2-3x3, c3=9x1-2x2-5x3. I don't know where those numbers came from. (I was guessing putting it into a matrix and use row reduction, but...no). Hmm? Help?

Physics news on Phys.org
So the question is asking for the matrix that sends (1,2,1), ..., to their respective vectors in lR^2.

A v1 = ?
A v2 = ?
A v3 = ?

It seems like you are trying to find linear combinations of the vectors that will give the transformations. I don't think that is going to work.

If you can find the matrix that performs the transformations, you can use matrix multiplication to find the vectors corresponding to certain coordinates (c1,c2).

Last edited:

1. What is a linear transformation formula?

A linear transformation formula is a mathematical equation used to describe how a particular function transforms one set of data into another set of data in a linear fashion. It is commonly used in fields such as mathematics, physics, and engineering to model and analyze various systems and processes.

2. How do you represent a linear transformation?

A linear transformation can be represented using a matrix, where the columns of the matrix represent the output variables and the rows represent the input variables. The values in the matrix describe how each input variable is transformed to produce the output variables.

3. What are the properties of a linear transformation formula?

The properties of a linear transformation formula include linearity, which means that the transformation preserves addition and scalar multiplication. This means that the sum of two transformed values is equal to the transformed sum of the individual values, and a transformed scalar multiple of a value is equal to the scalar multiple of the transformed value. Additionally, a linear transformation preserves the origin, meaning that the transformation of the origin point is still the origin point.

4. How do you apply a linear transformation formula to a set of data?

To apply a linear transformation formula to a set of data, you would first represent the data in matrix form. Then, you would multiply the data matrix by the transformation matrix, which would result in a new matrix representing the transformed data. This process can also be done using vector operations and the transformation matrix's corresponding linear transformation equations.

5. What is the importance of linear transformation formulas in science?

Linear transformation formulas are essential in science because they allow us to model and analyze various systems and processes in a simple and efficient manner. They provide a mathematical framework for understanding how different variables and factors affect one another and how they transform over time. They are also used in data analysis and machine learning to make predictions and draw conclusions from large datasets.