Linear Transformations of Matrices

In summary, the conversation revolved around finding the standard matrix T(e1 e2) by first solving for T(e1) and T(e2) individually. The individual solutions were then combined to form the standard matrix. The correct solutions for T(e1) and T(e2) were found to be <0, 1, 2> and <3/2, 1/2, -1/2> respectively. The correctness of these solutions was confirmed by multiplying the standard matrix with the vectors <1, 2> and <3, 4> (transposed).
schmidtc89

Homework Statement

attachment.php?attachmentid=29198&d=1287526189.jpg

The Attempt at a Solution

Code:
I think I first need to find  T(e[SUB]2[/SUB])=? and T(e[SUB]2[/SUB])=? and then combine those into a matrix. 

I am having trouble starting to solve for T(e[SUB]1[/SUB]) and T(e[SUB]2[/SUB])

so far I have   [1] = alpha [1]  + beta [3]
                [0]         [2]         [4]

I am trying to solve for alpha and beta to find e1

for e2 I have

so far I have   [0] = alpha [1]  + beta [3]
                [1]         [2]         [4]

I am trying to solve for alpha and beta to find e2.

Once I solve these for T(e[SUB]1[/SUB]) & T(e[SUB]2[/SUB]) do I just combine the vectors for the standard matrix?

Guidance would be great.

Thank You.

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    14.4 KB · Views: 478
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
T(<1, 2> = T(1<1, 0>) + 2<0, 1>) and T(<3, 4> = T(3<1, 0>) + 4<0, 1>), right?

Mark44 said:
T(<1, 2> = T(1<1, 0>) + 2<0, 1>) and T(<3, 4> = T(3<1, 0>) + 4<0, 1>), right?

Yes the above is right and makes sense.

I am not sure if I did it right.

For t(e1) I got <0,1,2>
For t(e2) I got <3/2,1/2,-1/2>

Standard matrix T( e1 e2 ) -----> <0,1,2><3/2,1/2,-1/2>

Yes, this is correct. You can check by multiplying your 3 x 2 matrix with the two vectors <1, 2> and <3, 4> (transposed).

Thanks

1. What is a linear transformation of matrices?

A linear transformation of matrices is a mathematical operation that maps one matrix to another matrix. It involves multiplying a given matrix by a transformation matrix to generate a new matrix with different characteristics or properties.

2. How do you perform a linear transformation on a matrix?

To perform a linear transformation on a matrix, you must first define a transformation matrix with the desired characteristics. Then, you multiply the transformation matrix by the original matrix using matrix multiplication. The resulting matrix will be the transformed version of the original matrix.

3. What are the key properties of linear transformations of matrices?

The key properties of linear transformations of matrices include preserving the zero vector, preserving scalar multiplication, and preserving vector addition. This means that the transformation will not alter the origin or scale of the matrix, and it will maintain the linear relationship between vectors.

4. What is the significance of linear transformations in matrix algebra?

Linear transformations are essential in matrix algebra because they allow for the manipulation and transformation of matrices to solve complex problems. They are also used to represent real-world situations and systems, making them a valuable tool in various fields, such as physics, engineering, and computer science.

5. How can linear transformations be visualized?

Linear transformations can be visualized through geometric representations, such as using vector diagrams or graphs. They can also be illustrated through the use of matrix transformations, which show the change in the position and orientation of vectors in a matrix after the transformation is applied.