1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find a 2x2 Matrix which performs the operation...

1. Jun 20, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Find the matrix that performs the operation

2x2 Matrix which sends e1→e2 and e2→e1

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I know e1 = < 1 , 0>
    and e2 = <0 , 1>

Basically I'm not quite sure what the question is asking. This is the one of the problems im currently stuck on. He is teaching out of the book-currently

Can someone please explain what this means?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 20, 2015 #2

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The problem asks you to find a matrix ##A## such that ##A e_1 = e_2## and ##Ae_2 = e_1##.

4. Jun 20, 2015 #3
    thanks. So If i understand from your clarification,

This 2x2 matrix that I'm looking for, when I multiply it by e1 it will give me e2, and vice-versa, this unknown matrix multipled by e2 will give me the result e1.

5. Jun 20, 2015 #4

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

6. Jun 20, 2015 #5
    Thanks again.

When i find the 2 these two matrixes that perform these two operations. When I multiply them together the result should be the 2x2 matrix that this question is asking for?

7. Jun 20, 2015 #6

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

No. You need to find a single matrix which satisfies both relations.

8. Jun 20, 2015 #7
    How is that even possible?
    1] I found a 2x2 matrix we'll call A that when you multiply it by e1 = e2
    2] I also found a 2x2 matrix B that when you multiply it by e2 =e1

But how is it possible to satisfy both conditions at the same time with the same 2x2 matrix? Any hints?

9. Jun 20, 2015 #8

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Any matrix is defined by its action on a complete basis. If you just know how it acts on a single vector you cannot determine it uniquely. I suggest assuming the most general form
    $$\begin{pmatrix}a&b\\ c&d\end{pmatrix}$$
    and examine what you can say about ##a,b,c## and ##d## from your requirements.

10. Jun 20, 2015 #9
    Nevermind I just figured it out. thanks for your help with adding to my knowledge/intuition with that statement about defining a matrix actions.
    !(took me long enough)

The 2x2 matrix i came up with was the following.
    num2_zpsyknllmyo.jpg

11. Jun 23, 2015 #10

WWGD

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Like Orodruin was saying, a matrix associated to a linear map T is uniquely defined by the effects of T on the given choice of basis. Then , for a map (Assummiing this, given your posts) from ##\mathbb R^2 ## to itself , both with the same basis, the associated matrix is ## [(Te_1)^T , (Te_2)^T] ##. where the T means transpose. Note that the copies of ##\mathbb R^2 ## may have different bases, then the solution is different. There are many variants, of course, of maps between vector spaces ( or even --free, of course-- rings/modules) of different dimensions, with different bases, but the idea of your case generalizes nicely here.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2015
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted