1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Linearization - no idea how to do this

1. Oct 25, 2006 #1
    Can someone point me in the right direction for this problem. I have no idea how to start on this. I know the linearization formula but i dont know if thats what i have to use here. can someone please help

problem: You want a linearization that will replace the function over an interval that includes the point Xo. To make your subsequent work as simple as possible you want to centre the linearization not at Xo but at a nearby integer X = a at which the function and its derivative are easy to evaluate. find a linearization for the following function. f(x) = x/(x+1), where Xo = 3.8

thanks in advance

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 26, 2006 #2

Galileo

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You have to linearize the function not at Xo but at a nearby integer, since that's easier to work with. It's clear which integer is close to Xo, so linearize f about that point.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?