Linearized Continuity (Fluids)

In summary, the authors of physics textbooks sometimes ramble and use different equations to express continuity for incompressible flow. In one case, they use ##\nabla\cdot u = \partial_ru_r+u_r/r+\partial_z u_z=0## and in another, they use ##\partial_ru_r+u_r/r+u_z##. This raises questions about how they arrived at the second equation and what they mean by "linearized." It is possible that in some books, ##u_z=\frac{\partial u}{\partial z}##, but this does not match the continuity equation as written. It is unclear what the authors are doing, but it is best to move on and forget about it
member 428835
Hi PF!

Continuity for incompressible flow independent of ##\theta## is ##\nabla\cdot u = \partial_ru_r+u_r/r+\partial_z u_z=0##. However, I'm following a problem in cylindrical coordinates, same assumptions as above, and the author states the linearized conservation of mass is ##\partial_ru_r+u_r/r+u_z## (two different authors wrote this so I doubt it's a typo). How are they arriving at this? Also, continuity is already linear in ##u##, so what do they mean by "linearized"?

Thanks for your help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Authors of physics textbooks ramble sometimes. You understand the equation by itself do not you? Then skip this comment and go on.

zwierz said:
Authors of physics textbooks ramble sometimes. You understand the equation by itself do not you? Then skip this comment and go on.
I do, but that still doesn't explain how they get ##u_z## rather than ##\partial_z u_z##.

O! now I see what the point is. This is strange indeed. Dimensions must be incomparable

Likes member 428835
Good call on the dimensions. I don't know what they're doing but I'll just move on and forget it (it was the Plateau-Rayleigh instability if you're curious).

perhaps in some books ##u_z=\frac{\partial u}{\partial z}##

zwierz said:
perhaps in some books ##u_z=\frac{\partial u}{\partial z}##
I don't think so because this does not match continuity as they wrote it, since they're using subscripts to denote a particular velocity component.

1. What is linearized continuity?

Linearized continuity is a mathematical principle that describes the relationship between the velocity and density of a fluid. It states that the product of the fluid density and velocity at any given point in the fluid must remain constant, as long as the fluid is incompressible and there are no external forces acting on it.

2. How is linearized continuity used in fluid dynamics?

In fluid dynamics, linearized continuity is used to analyze the behavior of fluids in motion. It is particularly useful in understanding the flow of air and water around objects, such as airplanes and ships, as well as in the design of fluid systems and structures.

3. What is the difference between linear and nonlinear continuity equations?

Linear continuity equations assume that the fluid is incompressible and there are no external forces acting on it. Nonlinear continuity equations take into account the compressibility of the fluid and the effect of external forces, such as gravity, on the fluid's behavior.

4. Can linearized continuity be applied to all types of fluids?

No, linearized continuity is only applicable to incompressible fluids. Incompressible fluids are those whose density remains constant regardless of changes in pressure or temperature. Examples include water, air, and oil.

5. How is linearized continuity related to Bernoulli's principle?

Linearized continuity is a fundamental principle in fluid dynamics and is closely related to Bernoulli's principle. Bernoulli's principle states that as the speed of a fluid increases, the pressure decreases. This relationship is a direct result of linearized continuity and is often used to explain the lift force experienced by objects in a fluid.