Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A Linearized Continuity (Fluids)

1. May 11, 2017 #1

joshmccraney

Gold Member

Hi PF!

Continuity for incompressible flow independent of ##\theta## is ##\nabla\cdot u = \partial_ru_r+u_r/r+\partial_z u_z=0##. However, I'm following a problem in cylindrical coordinates, same assumptions as above, and the author states the linearized conservation of mass is ##\partial_ru_r+u_r/r+u_z## (two different authors wrote this so I doubt it's a typo). How are they arriving at this? Also, continuity is already linear in ##u##, so what do they mean by "linearized"?

Thanks for your help!

2. jcsd
  3. May 11, 2017 #2
    Authors of physics textbooks ramble sometimes. You understand the equation by itself do not you? Then skip this comment and go on.

4. May 11, 2017 #3

joshmccraney

Gold Member

I do, but that still doesn't explain how they get ##u_z## rather than ##\partial_z u_z##.

5. May 11, 2017 #4
    O! now I see what the point is. This is strange indeed. Dimensions must be incomparable

6. May 11, 2017 #5

joshmccraney

Gold Member

Good call on the dimensions. I don't know what they're doing but I'll just move on and forget it (it was the Plateau-Rayleigh instability if you're curious).

7. May 11, 2017 #6
    perhaps in some books ##u_z=\frac{\partial u}{\partial z}##

8. May 11, 2017 #7

joshmccraney

Gold Member

I don't think so because this does not match continuity as they wrote it, since they're using subscripts to denote a particular velocity component.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted