Can Nonlinear Equations be Linearized Using Free Parameters?

In summary, the conversation discusses the equations of Lorenz and their linearization with respect to a free parameter n. The goal is to convert the equations into a vector form, with the only non-linearity being the replacement of XZ and XY terms with nZ and nY respectively. This is done to simplify the equations and make them easier to analyze. There is also a clarification that the "inclusive or" statement should be interpreted as an exclusive or.
Euler2718
I am given the equations of Lorenz with respect to deterministic non-periodic flow:

[tex] \frac{dX}{dt} = Pr(Y-X), X(0)=X_{0} [/tex]
[tex] \frac{dY}{dt} = -XZ + rX - Y, Y(0) = Y_{0} [/tex]
[tex] \frac{dZ}{dt} = XY-bZ, Z(0) = Z_{0} [/tex]

where Pr is the Prandtl number, r = Ra/Rac is the ratio of the Rayleigh number to its critical value, and b is a parameter that characterize the wave-number. I am told for the question that none of the derivation or mathematics behind it matter.

So the "question" (not really a question but merely a statement for me to figure out) is: A nonlinear quantity YZ may be linearized by replacing with Yn or nZ, where one of the original variables becomes a free parameter n. The equations above (Lorenz') can now be converted into a vector equation of the form

[tex] \dot x = A(n)x [/tex]

Where [itex] x = [X,Y,Z]^{T} [/itex] and [itex] \dot x [/itex] means [itex]\frac{dx}{dt}[/itex]

I don't think I'm interpreting the question correctly. It says I can replace any variable with a free parameter n? However I do that for instance with letting Y be a free parameter but equations two and three of Lorenz will not be linear as two variables will still be present. I'm under assumption that 'linearization' means having one variable with respect to the other, so I guess I'm at a conceptual loss here and would like to be put in the right direction.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
In simple words, a mathematical expression is linear if it does not contain products of any form between the unknown variables/functions/vectors/matrices (so say if x and y are unknowns the expression 5x+2y is linear but the expression 5xy+y or 5x^2+y are not linear).

In your case your equations 2 and 3 are not linear because they contain the terms XZ and XY respectively. I believe you are asked to replace these terms with nZ and nY, leaving X as it is in every other term of the equations.

Last edited:
Likes Euler2718
Delta² said:
I believe you are asked to replace these terms with nZ and nY, leaving X as it is in every other term of the equations.

That would seem to be convenient, however I must point out that it says Yn or nZ . Would it be appropriate to consider this an "inclusive or" statement? I was under the assumption given the context that one or the other but not both, but what you suggest makes more sense. I just need to be certain before continuing.

It is an exclusive or statement. But what I do does not violate the exclusive or. I am linearizing two different terms(the term XY to nY and the term -XZ to -nZ), not the same term in two different ways.

Likes Euler2718
Delta² said:
It is an exclusive or statement. But what I do does not violate the exclusive or. I am linearizing two different terms(the term XY to nY and the term -XZ to -nZ), not the same term in two different ways.

I think I see now. Many thanks.

1. What is the purpose of linearizing a system of ODE's?

Linearizing a system of ODE's allows us to approximate a nonlinear system with a linear one. This can make it easier to analyze and solve the system, as linear systems have well-developed mathematical tools for analysis.

2. How is a system of ODE's linearized?

A system of ODE's can be linearized by finding the Taylor series expansion of the nonlinear terms and only keeping the linear terms. This results in a system of linear ODE's that approximates the original system.

3. What are the assumptions made when linearizing a system of ODE's?

The main assumption is that the nonlinear terms in the system are small compared to the linear terms. This allows us to neglect the higher order terms in the Taylor series expansion.

4. Can linearization be applied to any system of ODE's?

No, linearization is only applicable to systems that are close to a stable equilibrium point. If the system is highly nonlinear or far from an equilibrium point, linearization may not provide an accurate approximation.

5. Are there any limitations to linearizing a system of ODE's?

Yes, linearization is only valid for small deviations from an equilibrium point. If the system has large deviations or oscillations, linearization may not provide an accurate approximation. Additionally, the linearized system may not capture all of the dynamics of the original nonlinear system.