1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Linearly dependent or independent functions?

1. Aug 31, 2007 #1
    Are the functions y=0 and y=sinh(pi*x) linearly dependent or linearly independent on the intercal x>0?

I'm not sure what I'm supposed to do here, but I try to divide them:

0/sinh(pi*x). This is certainly 0, since sinh (pi*x) is positive when x>0. Since 0 is a constant, the functions must be linearly dependent.

Am I right?
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 31, 2007 #2
    Any set that contains the 0 vector is linearly dependent.

In this case, the zero function is the zero vector of the space of functions defined on [o,infinity).

This is because any vector written as a linear combination of linearly independent vectors should have a unique linear combination... however, with the 0 vector included, you can come up with as many linear combinations as you want.

Hope this helps
  4. Aug 31, 2007 #3
    Thanks. I haven't learnt that much about matrixes yet. But the way I reasoned is plausible as well?
  5. Aug 31, 2007 #4
    It really depends on what type of class this is for.

Is this a linear algebra class?
  6. Aug 31, 2007 #5
    Yes. This chapter is called "Second order linear ODEs".

Another problem involves the functions ln x and ln(x^2). Then I wrote ln(x^2) as 2ln x, and since ln x/2ln x = 1/2, the functions are lineary dependent.
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2007
  7. Aug 31, 2007 #6
    Ahhh, ok.

I would probably just point out that the functions are linearly dependent because one can be written as a linear combination of the other.

Let f(x) = 0
    Let y(x) = sin(pi*x)

f(x) = 0 = 0 * sin(pi*x) = 0 * g(x)

Since f(x) is written here as a constant times g(x), you have linearly dependent functions.
  8. Sep 1, 2007 #7

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I was a little puzzled why you divided them. A set of vectors is "independent" if and only if the only linear combination,
    [tex]\alpha_1 v_1+ \alpha_2 v_2+ \cdot\cdot\cdot+ \alpha_n v_n= 0[/tex]
    must have all the [/alpha]s equal to 0.
    Of course, for just two vectors (or functions) that is
    [tex]\alpha_1 f+ \alpha_2 g= 0[/tex]
    must have [itex]\alpha_1= \alpha_2= 0[/itex]. If that's not true, if the functions are dependent, then
    [tex]\frac{f}{g}= -\frac{\alpha_1}{\alpha_2}[/tex]
    exists and is non 0. So your method is correct.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?