Linearly dependent or independent functions?

In summary, the functions y=0 and y=sinh(pi*x) are linearly dependent on the interval x>0. This is because any set containing the zero function is considered linearly dependent. This is especially true for linear algebra classes, as shown by the example of ln x and ln(x^2). These functions are linearly dependent because one can be written as a linear combination of the other. Therefore, the functions y=0 and y=sinh(pi*x) are linearly dependent as well.
kasse
Are the functions y=0 and y=sinh(pi*x) linearly dependent or linearly independent on the intercal x>0?

I'm not sure what I'm supposed to do here, but I try to divide them:

0/sinh(pi*x). This is certainly 0, since sinh (pi*x) is positive when x>0. Since 0 is a constant, the functions must be linearly dependent.

Am I right?

Physics news on Phys.org
Any set that contains the 0 vector is linearly dependent.

In this case, the zero function is the zero vector of the space of functions defined on [o,infinity).

This is because any vector written as a linear combination of linearly independent vectors should have a unique linear combination... however, with the 0 vector included, you can come up with as many linear combinations as you want.

Hope this helps

Thanks. I haven't learned that much about matrixes yet. But the way I reasoned is plausible as well?

It really depends on what type of class this is for.

Is this a linear algebra class?

wbclark said:
It really depends on what type of class this is for.

Is this a linear algebra class?

Yes. This chapter is called "Second order linear ODEs".

Another problem involves the functions ln x and ln(x^2). Then I wrote ln(x^2) as 2ln x, and since ln x/2ln x = 1/2, the functions are lineary dependent.

Last edited:
Ahhh, ok.

I would probably just point out that the functions are linearly dependent because one can be written as a linear combination of the other.

Let f(x) = 0
Let y(x) = sin(pi*x)

f(x) = 0 = 0 * sin(pi*x) = 0 * g(x)

Since f(x) is written here as a constant times g(x), you have linearly dependent functions.

I was a little puzzled why you divided them. A set of vectors is "independent" if and only if the only linear combination,
[tex]\alpha_1 v_1+ \alpha_2 v_2+ \cdot\cdot\cdot+ \alpha_n v_n= 0[/tex]
must have all the [/alpha]s equal to 0.
Of course, for just two vectors (or functions) that is
[tex]\alpha_1 f+ \alpha_2 g= 0[/tex]
must have [itex]\alpha_1= \alpha_2= 0[/itex]. If that's not true, if the functions are dependent, then
[tex]\frac{f}{g}= -\frac{\alpha_1}{\alpha_2}[/tex]
exists and is non 0. So your method is correct.

1. What is the difference between linearly dependent and independent functions?

Linearly dependent functions are functions that can be expressed as a linear combination of other functions. This means that one function can be written as a multiple of another function. On the other hand, linearly independent functions are functions that cannot be expressed as a linear combination of other functions.

2. How can I determine if a set of functions is linearly dependent or independent?

To determine if a set of functions is linearly dependent or independent, you can use the Wronskian determinant. If the determinant is equal to 0, the functions are linearly dependent. If the determinant is not equal to 0, the functions are linearly independent.

3. Can two functions with different slopes be linearly dependent?

No, two functions with different slopes cannot be linearly dependent. In order for functions to be linearly dependent, they must have the same slope. If two functions have different slopes, they are automatically linearly independent.

4. What is the significance of linearly independent functions in mathematics?

Linearly independent functions play a crucial role in various mathematical concepts, such as linear algebra and differential equations. They allow us to solve problems involving systems of equations and to find unique solutions to differential equations.

5. Can a set of three or more functions be both linearly dependent and independent?

No, a set of three or more functions cannot be both linearly dependent and independent. A set of functions can only be either linearly dependent or independent. If one function in the set can be expressed as a linear combination of the other functions, the set is linearly dependent. Otherwise, the set is linearly independent.