Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Link between harmonic functions and harmonic oscillators?

1. Jan 24, 2015 #1
    I'm a bit confused wether or not there is a link between harmonic functions (solutions of the Laplace pde) and harmonic oscillating systems? What is the meaning of "harmonic" in these cases? Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 24, 2015 #2

mathman

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Harmonic in both physics and math usually refer to things which are periodic. In math it is usually used in descriptions involving sines and cosines. In physics it is usually used in discussing pendulums and such things.

4. Jan 24, 2015 #3
    Ok.. So are all the solutions of the Laplace equation (in complex analysis) periodic? By definition, they are harmonic. So is a harmonic function and a periodic function the same thing?

5. Jan 25, 2015 #4

mathman

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Harmonic functions are more general. I suggest looking things up on Wikipedia will give you a lot more details. The main point I was trying to make is that you need to separate mathematics and physics to clarify the understanding.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook