1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Links for these concepts please

1. Aug 21, 2013 #1
    I am presently undergoing a course in Classical mechanics, here are some mathematical concepts that i haven't understand properly, These are the concepts
    1) Tangent, normal , Radius of curvature of a vector function at a point
    2) spherical, polar and cylindrical co-ordinates
    3) taylor series
    Thanks in advance

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 21, 2013 #2

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Why do you need someone here to give you links when you could just look them up yourself?

4. Aug 21, 2013 #3

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

That's what search engines like google and yahoo are for. The internet: it's more than just sharing cat videos!

5. Aug 21, 2013 #4
    Just wait a second, I'm typing a reply for you, it only takes some time.
    As soon as I am done having diner, I will reply, just wait for approx. 2 hours.

6. Aug 21, 2013 #5

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Are you having dinner in a diner or at home?

7. Aug 21, 2013 #6
    Like phinds said, it is easier for you to just google it. Because many others were dealing with the same problems, but i will just asume that you already did that and still did not understand everything - or I will just did it to be nice.

Anyway, let's start with your first question:

1) tangent

I've got one image for you, just so you can visualize what we are talking about [PLAIN]https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/61/Cercle_tangente_rayon.svg. [Broken]
    A tangent line is just a line which gives the slope at a certain point of the function. In the image the function was a circle.

1) normal

The normal to a function is just a line perpendicular to the tangent at that point.

1) Radius of curvature, I will explain that one later. First I need to be sure that you understand what i just explained.

2) Spherical coördinates, those are the coördinates which are normally used when you want to calculate for instance the volume of a sphere, or just a part of a sphere.
    I can into detail, but you need to tell me first wat exactly you want to know. Before I tell you more than you want to know and you start to get confused.
    Polar coördinates are the coordinates which you will use for a 2D sphere; a circle.
    But once again, tell me what you want to know.
    Cylindrical coördinates are used to calculate the surface, volume and more of cylinders.

3) Taylor series: a Taylor series is a representation of a function as an infinite sum of terms that are calculated from the values of the function's derivatives at a single point.
    I assume you know what a derivative is?

I know this will not help a lot, but tell me more about the things you want to know exactly.

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  8. Aug 21, 2013 #7

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It sounds like the OP has jumped into classical mechanics without having the proper mathematical foundation.

If the OP is hazy on what a tangent is, I suspect that the concept of a derivative is also somewhat unclear.

9. Aug 22, 2013 #8
    Good Day Manimaran1605!

It sounds like you may need to brush up on trig. A good book that you can get on amazon for a fair price is
    Trigonometry Review by Klaf. Its an excellent book to refresh ones memory on Trig....although it will not help you with Taylor Series.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook