Litteraure about Waves and Oscillation

In summary, the conversation is about a physics phenomenon related to waves and oscillations. The person is seeking book recommendations and resources for their essay on the subject. Some suggestions are given, including a general physics book, a dedicated book on waves, and a book on mechanical phenomena. An online resource is also mentioned as a potential option.
crillegs
Hi Guys and Girls

Take note that I am not sure if Waves or Oscillation, is the right word to use about this Physics phenomenon. Well the general subject is, what I could translate it to from danish, Waves. From the movement of a object hanging in a spring, and its movements, to the behaviour of a photon, amplitude, frequency, speed, interference. If Waves is the wrong word, I am sure that you know what I mean by now.

I've looked on Amazon.co.uk (because it will be shipped to Denmark), and I found a couple of books, but I've had quite a problem with the websites.

Hope you have something for me

Best Regards

Christian

Physics news on Phys.org
You don't state your level of math/physics knowledge so here are a variety of offerings.

Any first year general physics book will cover this, spread out in various chapters. Halliday and Resnick is popular.

For a dedicated treatment, I recommend Crawford's book Waves, volume 3 of the 1st year Berkeley Physics Course. It's probably out of print but you can find a used copy at sites like http://www.bookfinder.com" [Broken]. The book includes a little kit of light polarizers, quarter wave plates, etc.

For springs, vibrating strings, and all things mechanical: Marion, Classical Dynamics. This is a second or third year university level.

Also see Pippard, Vibrations. Volume 1 covers classical phenomena of every sort, Vol. 2 is quantum mechanics.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh I am sorry. I am 3rd year in high school, and Physics is on highest level, so we know all the basics about mechanics. Furthermore I have 2 weeks to write my essay.

I found this online:
http://www.lightandmatter.com/area1book3.html" [Broken]
It looks like a nice description, with minimal mathematics, and has the advantage of being immediately available.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the definition of a wave?

A wave is a disturbance or variation that travels through a medium, transferring energy without causing any permanent displacement of the medium itself.

2. How are waves classified?

Waves can be classified as either mechanical or electromagnetic. Mechanical waves require a medium to travel through, while electromagnetic waves can travel through a vacuum.

3. What is the difference between a transverse and longitudinal wave?

In a transverse wave, the particles of the medium vibrate perpendicular to the direction of the wave, while in a longitudinal wave, the particles vibrate parallel to the direction of the wave.

4. How do waves interact with each other?

Waves can interact with each other through the process of interference, where the amplitudes of two waves combine to produce a new wave. Waves can also diffract, refract, and reflect off of obstacles and boundaries.

5. What is the relationship between waves and oscillations?

Oscillations are periodic motions that repeat themselves over time, while waves are the result of these oscillations propagating through a medium. In other words, oscillations create waves.