Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Litteraure about Waves and Oscillation

1. Nov 17, 2007 #1
    Hi Guys and Girls

Take note that Im not sure if Waves or Oscillation, is the right word to use about this Physics phenomenon. Well the general subject is, what I could translate it to from danish, Waves. From the movement of a object hanging in a spring, and its movements, to the behaviour of a photon, amplitude, frequency, speed, interference. If Waves is the wrong word, Im sure that you know what I mean by now.

I've looked on Amazon.co.uk (because it will be shipped to Denmark), and I found a couple of books, but I've had quite a problem with the websites.

Hope you have something for me

Best Regards

Christian

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 17, 2007 #2

marcusl

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You don't state your level of math/physics knowledge so here are a variety of offerings.

Any first year general physics book will cover this, spread out in various chapters. Halliday and Resnick is popular.

For a dedicated treatment, I recommend Crawford's book Waves, volume 3 of the 1st year Berkeley Physics Course. It's probably out of print but you can find a used copy at sites like http://www.bookfinder.com. The book includes a little kit of light polarizers, quarter wave plates, etc.

For springs, vibrating strings, and all things mechanical: Marion, Classical Dynamics. This is a second or third year university level.

Also see Pippard, Vibrations. Volume 1 covers classical phenomena of every sort, Vol. 2 is quantum mechanics.

4. Nov 17, 2007 #3
    Oh Im sorry. Im 3rd year in high school, and Physics is on highest level, so we know all the basics about mechanics. Furthermore I have 2 weeks to write my essay.

5. Nov 18, 2007 #4

marcusl

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?