Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Little project - rechargeable pocket heater?

1. Mar 23, 2008 #1
    I work outside, and have absolutely no circulation in my hands. And I like hair-brained schemes.

So with these things in mind, I thought I might have a crack at making a little rechargeable pocket heater. Unfortunately, I know very very little about actual electrics. But hey, that's what makes hair-brained schemes more interesting isn't it? :P

Anyways, I was wondering, how would I go about getting something nice and warm using some rechargeable batteries? I've heard that resistors produce heat as a result of, well, resisting. But I don't know how much? Could one warm one's hands if one made a circuit full of resistors (and maybe a little LED so you know when the batteries are dead or dying)?

Would the batteries die too soon for this to be a realistic option? What would you suggest? I'm loath to get one of those annoying heat pack things as I find they only last about half an hour, or get *too* hot (one virtue of an electrical appliance - it has an off button).

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 23, 2008 #2

f95toli

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yes, this is why hand-warmers tend to use "direct" chemical reactions instead. There simply isn't enough energy in a small battery for electric heating to be useful (unless you are willing to carry around a car battery).

4. Mar 23, 2008 #3

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You can buy battery heated socks that just use a D cell.
    Otherise 4 AA rechargeables should give you 5V and around 1000mAH of capacity.
    Assume you want power for say 5Hours you can take 200mA.
    R=V/I so 5/0.2 = 50 Ohm resistor Power = I V = 0.2 * 5 = 1 Watt

Probably not worth it even inside gloves, of course you can just half the resistor to give twice the power for half the time, I probably wouldn't use more than 400mA - you risk damaging the batteries.

5. Mar 23, 2008 #4

Danger

Gold Member

W bought me an electrically heated vest for Xmas. It uses two battery packs of 4 AA cells each (individually switchable), gets nicely warm, and goes for several hours. The heating elements appear to be high-resistance wires that are looped up and down through the fabric, but I'm not going to take it apart to check for specifics.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?