1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Live on campus or rent an apartment?

1. May 5, 2007 #1
    My cousin got to an ok university as a transfer student, and will be going to as a third year junior. He's over 21 so doesn't have to live on campus, so the question is which choice is better to stay on campus or be more independent and live in an apartment.

Price wise it's about the same, for campus you get a small room and a roomate, for a couple hundred bucks more you get a nice apartment all to yourself.

2. jcsd
  3. May 5, 2007 #2
    it depends what he's looking for, if he's already a thrid year junior most everyone is going to already have friends and he'll have to just try harder to make and meet people.

I live off campus and love it, but when I was a freshman it was nice to room with someone because it was easy to make new friends that way.

4. May 5, 2007 #3

Chris Hillman

Science Advisor

Under 21's can't live off campus?

Hi, waht,

I'm curious about something you said:

Do I understand you to say the this uni requires students under 21 to live in a dorm? I've never heard of any requirement like that before (except at military academies). Is this university in the U.S. or somewhere else?

5. May 5, 2007 #4
    I lived on campus my freshman year and right now I live off campus. I'd rather live on campus. Living off campus here is about half the price of living on campus.

6. May 5, 2007 #5
    Thanks for the feedback, the univ doesn't require to live on campus if you are over 21, my apologies if I wasn't clear. We are just weighing the option. My cousin went to a community college before so he still lives at home. He's been working on and off, undecided what to do, so we have been pushing him get a degree. He doesn't know what housing options to take now that he is admitted, he has to move 100 miles from home sweet home.

So thanks, again, just like to hear more of the pros and cons.

7. May 5, 2007 #6
    If you rely heavily on financial aid, then it'd probably be better to live on campus. I don't believe financial aid will help with housing if you live off campus.

8. May 5, 2007 #7
    If you are moving to a place where you don't know anyone at all and a new city, I say move into a dorm. It is the easiest and fastest way to to make new friends and get use to the new area. No one from my high school went to my uni, so I knew no one. After my freshman year, I met a lot of peope who become my best friends while at college.

Also as a side note, some uni have dorm rooms made up upper division/ older first time college students, so might want to check that out.

9. May 6, 2007 #8
    yeah, chris there are some universities in U.S.A(although i am not an american, i am an international, but has come accross some of this kind of un in usa) that require u to live in campus unless you are 21, or has at least completed 60 credit hours.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?