Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Load moving horizontally across bridge, speed affect loading

1. Jun 5, 2015 #1
    a load moves horizontally across a flat bridge, eg a train, does the time the load is on the bridge affect the vertical force on the bridge.

put another way; can a bridge support a load greater than it's maximum load it can support for a stationary object if the load is only on the bridge for a very short time.

I ask this because as a kid we had bridge building contests with balsa wood, we determined the best designs by adding a stationary weight until the bridge collapsed. when that same weight was sent across the bridge at speed on a cart the bridge seemed to hold up even when the load increased.

flat bridge means no projectile motion.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 5, 2015 #2

anorlunda

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I think that is a complex question. A structure under load will deform as a function of time. Deformation alters the stresses on other parts of the structure. But the details depend on the exact structure, so I believe the your question is difficult to ask or answer for the general case.

4. Jun 5, 2015 #3
    interestingly I have looked at a number of engineering equations for failure of a particular structure/material, none of them I have seen have any time dependence. I am starting to question if my recollections of the loaded balsa bridges is accurate.

it intuitively seems that a load applied for a microscopic time will do less damage to a structure, this is not reflected in engineering formulas for failure of a structure due to a load.

5. Jun 5, 2015 #4

anorlunda

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Look at this tensile strength video. You can clearly see the steel deforming with time before breaking.

6. Jun 5, 2015 #5
    indeed, I would like to see the same experiment with that final breaking force applied for a micro-second. I am guessing the rod would not fail.

cool clip, thanks.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook