Local dialect you never knew was local.

• Thread starter matthyaouw
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Local
In summary: I mean girls...I know in my heart that they don't really exist. I'm pretty sure that when I was growing up, a breadcake was just a bread roll, but I'm not sure about a tenfoot.In summary, Has anyone heard the word "Tret/treat"? It is used interchangeably with treated and pronounced to rhyme with 'bet'. No one outside of Hull knows what either of those things are.
Evo said:
It's not correct anymore to refer to Irish as Gaelic, it's Irish. I made the mistake of referring to it as Gaelic at first. There are many local Irish dialects in Ireland.

Try telling that to its scottish speakers :wink:

Physics news on Phys.org
matthyaouw said:
They're the ones that are considered Gaelic. So you have English (most widely spoken), Irish (official language) and (Scottish) Gaelic.

I'm half English and Irish on my father's side. My maiden name is VERY Irish.

Evo said:
It's not correct anymore to refer to Irish as Gaelic, it's Irish. I made the mistake of referring to it as Gaelic at first. There are many local Irish dialects in Ireland.

"The language is usually referred to in English as Irish, and less often as Gaelic or Irish Gaelic. Gaelic or Irish Gaelic is often used in the Irish diaspora (also see below). Within many parts of Ireland, the choice of name has inevitably on occasion acquired political significance. Some people believe that referring to the language as "Gaelic" suggests that the language is as distant and unrelated to modern Irish life as the civilization of the ancient Gaels. Calling it Irish, on the other hand, is a more precise indication of its constitutional status as the national language of the Irish people. Irish is the term generally accepted among scholars; it is also the term used in the Republic of Ireland's Constitution.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irish_language

Irish Dialects

There are a number of distinct dialects of Irish. Roughly speaking, the three major dialect areas coincide with the provinces of Munster (Cúige Mumhan), Connacht (Cúige Chonnacht) and Ulster (Cúige Uladh).

I didnt call anything "Irish"... Ulster is actually a dialect of scots, and it is NOT a dialect of English or "Irish" or gaelic. I suppose by "Irish" you mean Irish dialects of English?

Anttech said:
I didnt call anything "Irish"... Ulster is actually a dialect of scots, and it is NOT a dialect of English or "Irish" or gaelic. I suppose by "Irish" you mean Irish dialects of English?
No, "Irish" is a language, it is the OFFICIAL language of Ireland.

Evo said:
They're the ones that are considered Gaelic. So you have English (most widely spoken), Irish (official language) and (Scottish) Gaelic.

Gaelic of Ireland and the Highlands of Scotland are not the same thing. They are similar but not the same thing.

Nor is the Irish version of Gaelic called Irish.

In Ireland they have 3 languages spoken. Scots (NOT Gaelic) Gaelic, and English, the same as Scotland.

Evo said:
No, "Irish" is a language, it is the OFFICIAL language of Ireland.

:rolleyes:

Ireland is an English name for Eire, Irish is also the English way to say someone from ireland. Why would Gaelic be called by an English name, when it isn't even from the same language group? It is from the Celtic Group..

Anttech said:
:rolleyes:

Ireland is an English name for Eire, Irish is also the English way to say someone from ireland. Why would Gaelic be called by an English name, when it isn't even from the same language group? It is from the Celtic Group..
Wow, you really don't know that Irish is a language? SHAME ON YOU! You may apologize now.

http://foreignaffairs.gov.ie/Press_Releases/20050613/1774.htm

Minister Dermot Ahern announces Official and Working Status for the Irish language in EU: Government Proposal Unanimously Accepted By EU Foreign Ministers

The Minister for Foreign Affairs, Mr. Dermot Ahern T.D., has welcomed today's decision by EU Foreign Ministers unanimously to approve the Irish Government's proposal to accord official and working status in the EU to the Irish language.

I am very pleased that the Irish language has been accorded official and working status in the European Union. This affirms at European level the dignity and status of our first official language. This represents a particularly significant practical step for the Irish language, and complements the Government's wider policy of strong support for the language at home. I am grateful to our EU partners for their agreement to the Government's proposal,” said Minister Ahern.

The proposal results in a major enhancement of the status of the Irish language in the EU. It becomes the twenty-first official and working language of the Union.

http://ec.europa.eu/dgs/translation/spotlight/irish_en.htm

Irish becomes the 21st official language of the EU

Last edited by a moderator:
I think I know what you are getting wrong. You are translating the name Gaelic into English, and saying its Irish. That is debatable considering that many Highlanders in Scotland speak it. The Name of the Langauge is Gaelic or Gaeilic Depending on how you spell it.

Anttech said:
I think I know what you are getting wrong. You are translating the name Gaelic into English, and saying its Irish. That is debatable considering that many Highlanders in Scotland speak it. The Name of the Langauge is Gaelic or Gaeilic Depending on how you spell it.
:smile: OH MY GOD! Have you been living under a rock?

Have you read what I posted?

IRISH IS THE OFFICIAL LANGUAGE OF IRELAND. In Irish it's spelled Ghaeilge. But to make the differentiation, Irish is no longer considered Gaelic, that's why they pushed for the differentiation. The wiki article is a pretty easy explanation, I suggest you read it.

Last edited:
Wow, you really don't know that Irish is a language? SHAME ON YOU! You may apologize now.
Irish is Gaelic... Go read your link, shame on you, and you are trying to show your "Irish" heritage, and you didnt even know that :wink:

Heres a few others for you:

http://www.unhchr.ch/udhr/lang/gli1.htm

Irish Gaelic, often known simply as Irish, is an official language of the Republic of Ireland. It belongs to the Indo-European family, Celtic group,

http://www.englishirishdictionary.com/

Its even on the translator. It is GAELIC... Or Irish Gaelic

H MY GOD! Have you been living under a rock?

Have you read what I posted?

IRISH IS THE OFFICIAL LANGUAGE OF IRELAND.

GEEZE O PETE, ARE YOU BLIND?

No.. It seems you are.. The word IRISH isn't even Gaelic so why would they call their language Irish? And to top that, I DOUBT any GAELIC speakers in Scotland would be telling anyone they speak Irish, because they dont.. They speak Gaelic...

Last edited by a moderator:
matthyaouw said:

Exactly. I am being taught how to suck eggs here it seems. I was born and lived most of my life in Glasgow :rolleyes:

Not anymore, read the article. They want to separate Irish from being referred to as Gaelic.

We are speaking English on here, we say Irish for the Irish language, French for the French language, German for the German language. Why would I say Ghaeilge for Irish? I wouldn't say Deutsch for German, or Francais for French.

You specifically mis-stated that there is no such thing as an Irish language. You're wrong. Did you see the prolamation where Irish is now the 21st official language in the EU?

Anttech said:
Exactly. I am being taught how to suck eggs here it seems. I was born and lived most of my life in Glasgow :rolleyes:
And apparently haven't read a newspaper in two years. :wink:

Last edited:
Not anymore, read the article. They want to separate Irish from being referred to as Gaelic.
I read it thanks, but it is still Gaelic, it didnt just stop being Gaelic, because the Irish decided to call Gaelic Irish (Rather than Erse (sp?)), and it is so close to Highland Gaelic that it is insulting to call it Irish to a 1000's generation Scotsman, who has spoken gaelic all his life, just because the Irish have decided to call gaelic 'Irish"

And apparently haven't read a newspaper in two years.

Nope I am very interested in my local Languages, I have a colourful background, and this makes me very interested in these things. I also have local knowledge, and without me knowing it I discovered I can speak 2 languages English and Scots. We have a Fair amount of Gaelic on the TV now also, and culture and history programs... Nothing really like local knowledge for these things now is there?

Anttech said:
I read it thanks, but it is still Gaelic, it didnt just stop being Gaelic, because the Irish decided to call Gaelic Irish (Rather than Erse (sp?)), and it is so close to Highland Gaelic that it is insulting to call it Irish to a 1000's generation Scotsman, who has spoken gaelic all his life, just because the Irish have decided to call gaelic 'Irish"
Well, they made it a legal change, I had nothing to do with it. :smile: And my Irish friend is teaching me Irish. He also calls it Irish. Besides, no one can understand the Scots. :wink: I used to date one.

LMAO:

So I must be an "Irish Denier" then.. Hope they don't lock me up :rolleyes:

As for scots, its supposed to be like that ;)

Anttech said:
LMAO:

So I must be an "Irish Denier" then.. Hope they don't lock me up :rolleyes:
:smile: I wouldn't say the word "Gaelic" too loudly after Jan 1st, 2007. :biggrin: There's an old Western movie phrase "them's fightin' words".

and it is so close to Highland Gaelic that it is insulting to call it Irish to a 1000's generation Scotsman, who has spoken gaelic all his life, just because the Irish have decided to call gaelic 'Irish"

Surely there are more important things to feel insulted about than whether they call Gaelic Irish or not. Sounds to me like you are just a tad too defensive about your heritage.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Economy_of_Scotland#Tourism
It is estimated that tourism accounts for 3% of Scotland's economic output. Scotland is a well-developed tourist destination with attractions ranging from unspoilt countryside, mountains and abundant history. Tourism is responsible for sustaining 200,000 jobs mainly in the service sector, with tourist spending averaging at £4bn per year [21]. Domestic tourists (those from the United Kingdom) make up the bulk of visitors to Scotland. In 2002, for example, UK visitors made 18.5 million visits to Scotland, staying 64.5 million nights and spending £3.7 billion. In contrast, overseas residents made 1.58 million visits to Scotland, staying 15 million nights and spending £806 million. In terms of overseas visitors, those from the United States made up 24% of visits to Scotland, with the United States being the largest source of overseas visitors, and Germany (9%), France (8%), Canada (7%) and Australia (6%), following behind. [22]
When ones 'heritage' and culture attracts as many tourist and therefore money into a country, one would have the right to be defensive about ones culture and heritage.
Heritage and culture, and "national identity" is what binds social groups together, giving a social cohesion. Anything that erodes that is not good. Look at Iraq for an example..

Back