1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Local extension and differential geometry

1. Mar 31, 2007 #1
    I have to prove the map g:torus --> (S^2 3 dimensional sphere of radius 1) is a C infinity map in my assignment.

The torus is parameterized as

x(u,v)=(3+cos u)(cos v)
    y(u,v)=(3+cos u)(sin v)
    z(u,v)=sin u

The map g is given by

g=[6yz/(x^2+y^2+z^2+8), 3-sqrt(x^2+y^2), -xz/sqrt(x^2+y^2)]

I have done that by using suitable coordinate maps. But I am terribly confuse in how to prove this by choosing suitable local extensions between open subsets of R^3. To be honest I don't really know the definition of local extension of a coordinate map!

All I know is about local extension is that for f:u1 -> u2, local extension of f is F:U1 -> U2 such that u1 is a subset of U1 and u2 is a subset of U2, I am not sure if f has to equal F (f=F).

I think this can be proven easily if I just local extend g to G:R^3 -> R^3 where g=G and it is obvious that G is C-infinity then so does g. But how do I do this by choosing local subset of R^3, I don't really have a clue.

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?