1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Locus of points making an ellipse

1. Aug 1, 2015 #1
    I know that

1) when eccentricity is less than 1 then it is an ellipse

2) locus of points making sum of the distance from two fixed points(foci) with that point a constant, creates ellipse.

Here comes the question, I understand that locus made according to number 2, is ellipsoidal. But how can it give the same equation of an ellipse? Or in reverse way how the sum of the distance of any point on the ellipse from the foci is constant?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 1, 2015 #2

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

You might be able to derive the equation for an ellipse for a specific example.

Start with foci at (-3,0) and (3,0) and then use the pythagorean theorem to get the distance from point on the ellipse and the two foci then add them together. Next do it again using a point (x,y).

4. Aug 1, 2015 #3
    I tried it. I considered a normal ellipse with an equation

(x^2/a^2)+(y^2/b^2)=1 and a>b

taking eccentricity e, foci comes (ae,0) and (-ae,0). On, (0,b) applying Pythagorus' theorem I got

(ae)^2 + b^2 = s^2

again at vertex (a,0) there is

2S=2a+ae
    or, S= a+ ae/2
    or, S^2=a^2 +a^2e + (ae/2)^2

Well, then I did quite different thing. I put the two values of s^2 together to get that if the equation is correct.

That brought

a^2 + a^2e + (ae/2)^2 = a^2 (e^2 + (b/a)^2)

or, 1+ e + e^2/4 = 1 - (b/a)^2 + (b/a)^2

or, e + e/4= O

But it cannot be. There must be some problem in calculation. And I don't know how else to solve it

5. Aug 1, 2015 #4

mathman

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

My comments in text using {}.

6. Aug 2, 2015 #5
    e^2= 1-(b/a)^2

when a>b

7. Aug 2, 2015 #6
    Oh yes, s=a then, 2s = 2a.

so, a^2=a^2(e^2+(b/a)^2)

which brings 1=1.

So, the calculation is true.

I got the solution.

But how can we possibly come to conclusion that any other point P(x,y) also give the same 2S=2a?

Should I try finding out for any such point, or, is there an easy conclusion from the upper two cases?

How did anyone who first found it out do it then?

8. Aug 2, 2015 #7
    Here 2S means S+S' (one from each focus)

9. Aug 2, 2015 #8

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

10. Aug 2, 2015 #9

Yes, I've found the whole proof from the page giving another link.

(The link is: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proofs_involving_the_ellipse [Broken])

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook