Difference between distance from two fixed points is a positive constant

In summary, the set of all points \(P(x,y)\) in a plane, such that the difference of their distance from two fixed points is a positive constant, can be described using the equation \(\left(\frac{R}{2}\right)^2 \left(\left(\frac{R}{2}\right)^2 - a^2\right) = \left(\left(\frac{R}{2}\right)^2 - a^2\right)x^2 + \left(\frac{R}{2}\right)^2y^2\), where R is the positive constant and a is the distance between the two fixed points. This equation represents a hyperbola.
Dustinsfl
The set of all points \(P(x,y)\) in a plane, such that the difference of their distance from two fixed points is a positive constant is called?

ellipse
hyperbola
parabola
circle

How do I work this out? Are the two fixed points supposed to be the foci? Wouldn't this also depend on the how one performs the difference? For instance, take a circle of radius a. Then \(-a - a = -2a\) which is negative.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
We can simplify by setting up an appropriate coordinate system. We are given two points to be the foci so set up a coordinate system with the x-axis through those points. We are also free to set the y-axis half way between the two foci so that they are at (-a, 0) and (a, 0).

Let (x, y) be a point on the graph. What is the distance from (x, y) to (-a, 0)? What is the distance from (x, y) to (a, 0)? Since you are told that "the difference of their distance from two fixed points is a positive constant" subtract those and set them equal to some constant, R, say. Now simplify, by getting rid of the square roots, until you can identify the type of equation.

I think it's an hyperbola.

Circle: locus of points equidistant from a single point (center).

Ellipse: locus of points such that the sum of the distances from the two foci is a constant.

Parabola: locus of points equidistant from a point (vertex) and a line (directrix).

Hyperbola: locus of points such that the difference of the distances from the two foci is a constant.

Ackbach said:
I think it's an hyperbola.

Circle: locus of points equidistant from a single point (center).

Ellipse: locus of points such that the sum of the distances from the two foci is a constant.

Parabola: locus of points equidistant from a point (vertex) and a line (directrix).

Hyperbola: locus of points such that the difference of the distances from the two foci is a constant.

HallsofIvy never specified a conic just a method to find the conic. Do you agree with that approach? I only ask because when I went through it, I did obtain an ellipse.

dwsmith said:
HallsofIvy never specified a conic just a method to find the conic. Do you agree with that approach? I only ask because when I went through it, I did obtain an ellipse.

HoI's approach should work just fine - I think the result should be an hyperbola. Can you show your working?

Ackbach said:
HoI's approach should work just fine - I think the result should be an hyperbola. Can you show your working?

\begin{align}
\sqrt{(x+a)^2 + y^2} - \sqrt{(x-a)^2 + y^2} &= R\\
\sqrt{(x+a)^2 + y^2} &= R + \sqrt{(x-a)^2 + y^2}\\
x^2 + 2ax + a^2 + y^2 &= R^2 + 2R\sqrt{(x-a)^2 + y^2} + x^2 - 2ax + a^2 + y^2\\
ax - \left(\frac{R}{2}\right)^2 &= \frac{R}{2}\sqrt{(x-a)^2 + y^2}\\
a^2x^2 - 2ax\left(\frac{R}{2}\right) + \left(\frac{R}{2}\right)^4 &= \left(\frac{R}{2}\right)^2x^2 - 2ax\left(\frac{R}{2}\right)^2 + a^2\left(\frac{R}{2}\right)^2 + y^2\left(\frac{R}{2}\right)^2\\
\left(\frac{R}{2}\right)^2 \left(\left(\frac{R}{2}\right)^2 - a^2\right) &= \left(\left(\frac{R}{2}\right)^2 - a^2\right)x^2 + \left(\frac{R}{2}\right)^2y^2
\end{align}
By Pythagoras, \(a^2 + v^2 = z^2\). Let \(z = \frac{R}{2}\).
Then
\[
z^2v^2 = v^2x^2 + z^2y^2\Rightarrow 1 = \frac{x^2}{z^2} + \frac{y^2}{v^2}.
\]

Last edited:
dwsmith said:
\begin{align}
\sqrt{(x+a)^2 + y^2} - \sqrt{(x-a)^2 + y^2} &= R\\
\sqrt{(x+a)^2 + y^2} &= R + \sqrt{(x-a)^2 + y^2}\\
x^2 + 2ax + a^2 + y^2 &= R^2 + 2R\sqrt{(x-a)^2 + y^2} + x^2 - 2ax + a^2 + y^2\\
ax - \left(\frac{R}{2}\right)^2 &= \frac{R}{2}\sqrt{(x-a)^2 + y^2}\\
a^2x^2 - 2ax\left(\frac{R}{2}\right) + \left(\frac{R}{2}\right)^4 &= \left(\frac{R}{2}\right)^2x^2 - 2ax\left(\frac{R}{2}\right)^2 + a^2\left(\frac{R}{2}\right)^2 + y^2\left(\frac{R}{2}\right)^2\\
\left(\frac{R}{2}\right)^2 \left(\left(\frac{R}{2}\right)^2 - a^2\right) &= \left(\left(\frac{R}{2}\right)^2 - a^2\right)x^2 + \left(\frac{R}{2}\right)^2y^2
\end{align}

I'm good up to here. I'm not at all sure, though, that $R/2-a>0$. The distance between the two foci is $2a$. Take a point on the line between the two foci that satisfies the requirement. Suppose the distance from one focus is $g$, and the distance from the other focus is $h$, with $h>g$. Then $h-g=R$, as we know the definition of your shape to be. But it is also true that $h+g=2a$, since the point we've picked is on the line between the two foci. That is,
\begin{align*}
h-g&=R \\
h+g&=2a.
\end{align*}
Subtracting the second equation from the first yields $R-2a=-2g<0$, since $g>0$. It follows that $R/2<a$, and hence $R^2/4<a^2$. Therefore,
$$\left(\frac{R}{2}\right)^2 \left(\left(\frac{R}{2}\right)^2 - a^2\right) = \left(\left(\frac{R}{2}\right)^2 - a^2\right)x^2 + \left(\frac{R}{2}\right)^2y^2 $$
describes an hyperbola.

1. What does it mean for the distance between two fixed points to be a positive constant?

This means that the distance between the two points remains the same, regardless of any changes in their positions or orientations. It is a fixed value that does not change.

2. How is this different from the distance between two points that is not a constant?

If the distance between two points is not a constant, it means that the distance between them can change depending on their positions or orientations. It is not a fixed value.

3. Can the distance between two fixed points be negative?

No, the distance between two fixed points is always a positive value. It represents the absolute magnitude of the distance between the points, regardless of the direction of the measurement.

4. What is an example of two fixed points with a positive constant distance between them?

An example could be two points on opposite ends of a straight line, where the distance between them is a constant length of 10 meters. As long as the points remain fixed, the distance between them will always be 10 meters.

5. How is the concept of a positive constant distance between two points useful in science?

This concept is useful in many scientific fields, such as physics, geometry, and engineering. It allows for precise measurements and calculations, and can help determine the relationship between two points or objects in a system.