Log laws (possible error in answers)

In summary, when Franky2727 tries to integrate 2/(2-z)+(2/(1+2z)) he gets 1/2ln|v| which is not equal to the answer he got when he equated (2/(2-z)+2/(1+2z)) and 1/2ln|v|. He needs to integrate 2/(2-z)+2/(1+2z) to get the same answer as integrating (2/(2-z)+1/(1+2z)).
franky2727
ive got integral[(2/(2-z))+(2/(1+2z))]dz=integral dv/v

then the next line is ln|v|=-2ln|2-z|+ln|1+2z|+c

when i equate this i get rid of the 2 as a common factor integrate the V side first and multiply through by 1/2 giving me ln|2-z|+ln|1+2z|=1/2ln|v| which i don't think is the same as what my answer shows me can someone point out where I am going wrong please

Physics news on Phys.org
franky2727 said:
ive got integral[(2/(2-z))+(2/(1+2z))]dz=integral dv/v

then the next line is ln|v|=-2ln|2-z|+ln|1+2z|+c

when i equate this i get rid of the 2 as a common factor integrate the V side first and multiply through by 1/2 giving me ln|2-z|+ln|1+2z|=1/2ln|v| which i don't think is the same as what my answer shows me can someone point out where I am going wrong please

Hi franky2727! :smile:

i] multiplying through by 1/2 gives you ln|2-z|+ 1/2ln|1+2z|=1/2ln|v|

ii] don't do that!

as soon as you get a log equation like ln|v|=-2ln|2-z|+ln|1+2z|+c,

just un-log it (ie do e-to-the to both sides :wink:),

and you get … ? :smile:

sorry I am more confused as to where the -2 has came from in there answer i thought i would get ln|v| = 2ln|2-z|+2ln|1+2z| +c or am i making serious mistakes with my log laws?

franky2727 said:
sorry I am more confused as to where the -2 has came from in there answer i thought i would get ln|v| = 2ln|2-z|+2ln|1+2z| +c or am i making serious mistakes with my log laws?

Your ln|v|=-2ln|2-z|+ln|1+2z|+c is correct.

Next step:

eln|v| = … ? :smile:

franky2727 said:

It's not the log laws that are the problem. If you are getting that, then you are integrating wrong. To integrate [itex]\int dz/(1-z)[/itex] let u= 1- z and to integrate [itex]\int dz/(1+2z)[/itex] let u= 1+ 2z. What is du in each case?

1. What are log laws?

Log laws are mathematical rules that govern the behavior of logarithmic functions. They are used to manipulate and simplify expressions involving logarithms.

2. What are the common log laws?

The common log laws include the product rule, quotient rule, power rule, and change of base rule. These laws allow for the simplification and manipulation of logarithmic expressions.

3. How do log laws relate to exponential functions?

Log laws are closely related to exponential functions because logarithms are the inverse of exponential functions. This means that log laws can be used to solve equations involving exponential functions.

4. Can log laws be applied to any logarithmic expression?

Yes, log laws can be applied to any logarithmic expression, as long as the expression follows the rules of logarithms. However, some log laws may be more useful and applicable in certain situations than others.

5. What are some potential errors when using log laws?

One potential error when using log laws is forgetting to apply the change of base rule when working with logarithms of different bases. Another error could be mistakenly applying the wrong log law to a given expression.