Logarithmic and exponential equations

In summary, to solve the equation (2^x - 2^-x)/3=4, one can multiply both sides by 3 and then use log or exponential rules to rewrite the equation. By letting u=2^x, the equation can be transformed into a quadratic equation, which can be solved using the quadratic formula. The resulting answer, when plugged back into the original equation, gives the solution of x=log 12.08/log 2, which is approximately 3.585.
j9mom

Homework Statement

(2^x - 2^-x)/3=4

Homework Equations

Using log or exponential rules

The Attempt at a Solution

First multiply both sides by 3 so 2^x-2^-x=12
I thought I could take the log of both sides then condense the log, but that is not right.

I also attempted to rewrite as 2^x - 1/(2^x) = 12 but I could nowhere with that.

I also attempted to do (2 - 2^-1)^x = 12
(2-1/2)^x = 12
(3/2)^x = 12

log(3/2)^x = log 12

x(log 3/2) = log 12

x= log 12/log 3/2 = 6.128

But that is not the right answer it is supposed to be 3.595 . Where did I go wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
j9mom said:

Homework Statement

(2^x - 2^-x)/3=4

Homework Equations

Using log or exponential rules

The Attempt at a Solution

First multiply both sides by 3 so 2^x-2^-x=12
I thought I could take the log of both sides then condense the log, but that is not right.

I also attempted to rewrite as 2^x - 1/(2^x) = 12 but I could nowhere with that.

I also attempted to do (2 - 2^-1)^x = 12
(2-1/2)^x = 12
(3/2)^x = 12

log(3/2)^x = log 12

x(log 3/2) = log 12

x= log 12/log 3/2 = 6.128

But that is not the right answer it is supposed to be 3.595 . Where did I go wrong?

You can't do most of those things. 2^x - 1/(2^x) = 12 is a good start. Put u=2^x. Then 2^(-x)=1/u. Form an equation for u, solve for it and then find x.

Last edited:
Ok, so u - 1/u = 12

so u^2 - 12u - 1 = 0

Do I use the quadratic equation to solve for u?

Sorry, but this is unlike any of the other equations we did.

j9mom said:
Ok, so u - 1/u = 12

so u^2 - 12u - 1 = 0

Do I use the quadratic equation to solve for u?

Well, if you were given that quadratic to solve, what would you do?

j9mom said:
Sorry, but this is unlike any of the other equations we did.

Then it's probably one of the harder questions that tests your ability to apply other methods you've previously learned to solve the problem.

Likes 1 person
OK, at first I did not think I should do that, because I would wind up with two answers, but one is negative, which obviously is an extraneous answer because logs cannot be negative. So the other answer was 12.08 so the log 12.08/log 2 = 3.585 which is close to the book's answer.

j9mom said:
OK, at first I did not think I should do that, because I would wind up with two answers, but one is negative, which obviously is an extraneous answer because logs cannot be negative. So the other answer was 12.08 so the log 12.08/log 2 = 3.585 which is close to the book's answer.

Precisely :smile:

Likes 1 person

1. What is the difference between logarithmic and exponential equations?

Logarithmic and exponential equations are inverse functions of each other. In an exponential equation, the variable is in the exponent, while in a logarithmic equation, the variable is in the base. This means that when solving for a variable, the steps for solving an exponential and logarithmic equation will be different.

2. How do I solve a logarithmic equation?

To solve a logarithmic equation, you must use the properties of logarithms. The first step is to isolate the logarithm by moving all other terms to the other side of the equation. Then, use the product, quotient, and power rules to simplify the logarithm. Finally, use the inverse property of logarithms to solve for the variable.

3. What are common applications of logarithmic and exponential equations?

Logarithmic and exponential equations are used in a variety of fields, including finance, biology, and physics. In finance, exponential growth and decay can be modeled using these equations. In biology, logarithmic equations are used to measure the pH scale and the Richter scale for earthquakes. In physics, exponential equations are used to model radioactive decay and population growth.

4. Can you graph logarithmic and exponential equations?

Yes, logarithmic and exponential equations can be graphed using a calculator or by hand. The graph of an exponential equation will be a curve, while the graph of a logarithmic equation will be a straight line. The x-intercept of the exponential graph will be the base of the exponent, and the y-intercept of the logarithmic graph will be the base of the logarithm.

5. How do I check if my solution to a logarithmic or exponential equation is correct?

To check if your solution is correct, you can plug it back into the original equation and see if it satisfies the equation. For logarithmic equations, make sure to check that the solution is in the domain of the logarithm, which is all positive numbers. For exponential equations, you can also use a calculator to verify the solution.