1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Lognormal distribution question

1. Sep 29, 2015 #1
    1. The lognormal distribution is identified as a model for concentration of a certain organic matter above a certain stretch of a highway. The parameters of this distribution are sigma = 1.9 and sigma = 0.9. a) Determine the expected value and the standard deviation of such distribution. b) The probability that the concentration of this compound will be at least 10.

2. I have absolutely no clue how to do this. My instructors lectures are next to useless and give pretty much no help.

3. See #2.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 29, 2015 #2

andrewkirk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

If the concentration C has a lognormal distribution, that means that log C has a normal distribution. THe parameters ##\mu## and ##\sigma## are the mean and standard deviation of log C.

So the prob that C>10 is the prob that log C > log 10.

The wikipedia page on lognormal distributions is concise, correct and clear.

4. Sep 30, 2015 #3
    That does make sense, and thank you Andrew. I guess I'm confused when it asks for the 'expected value'. Expected value of what? I'm assuming it wants the mean, but it just says 'expected value and standard deviation'. It's confusing.

5. Sep 30, 2015 #4

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

There should be no confusion---the terms 'expected value' and 'standard deviation (or variance)' apply to the random variable you are discussing, which is the lognormal random variable ##X## in this case. If you read carefully, you will see that the problem described the parameters as "sigma = 1.9 and sigma = 0.9" (but I guess that meant "mu = 1.9"). The problem did NOT use the terms mean (or expected value) and standard deviation to describe these parameters---although they are, in fact, the true mean and standard deviation of the related random variable ##\ln X =Y \sim N(\mu, \sigma^2)##.

To summarize: you are given ##\mu_Y = 1.9## and ##\sigma_Y = 0.9##, and from that you are asked to calculate ##EX = \mu_X## and ##\sigma_X##.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2015
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted