Long Division isn't working for me

• Thread starter WadeS
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Division
In summary, Ward attempted to do long division but got frustrated and needed help. After practicing the problem with some different numbers, he was able to solve it.
WadeS
The problem is that I am weak at long division and need it for ratio and rate.

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

Like big questions such as 236 divided by 6.(I know it doesn't go in by using a calculator but if it has a point.

The Attempt at a Solution

I just can't do it and that's why I need advice and helpful tips.
Ward.

Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks now how about normal long division?

Certainly why not!

You were interested in "236 divided by 6". The dividend is 236 and the divisor is 6.

The "6" is written at the left of the curve of the long-division structure, and the "236" is written under the segment of the long-division structure.

Ask: does the 2 contain any 6 ? No. Then include the next digit of the dividend.

Ask: Does 23 contain any quantity of 6 ? Yes.
How many? 6*3=18, 6*4=24, so 23 contains 3 of the quantity 6.
Write the digit, "3" directly over hte "3" of the dividend, and subtract 18 from 23, and then bring down the next digit of the dividend (write it next to the result of subtracting 18 from 23). You are looking at (23-12) with a "6" next to it. This "6" is the one which is part of the dividend.

Ask: Does this (23-18) with a "6" next to it contain any quantity of 6? If so, how many?
Can you see how this works?

Sort of... Maybe my brain isn't working:(

6into 56 10 times but it doesn't go in fully it has a reminder of 4.

Welcome to PF!

Hi WadeS! Welcome to PF! :smile:
WadeS said:
6into 56 10 times but it doesn't go in fully it has a reminder of 4.

Nooo … you have to sneak up on it from below! :wink:

You have to say "6 into 56 9 times fully, plus it has a remainder of 2" :smile:

Perhaps this might help:

We are to perform the division 236 with 6.

1. We start out optimistically, and say that each of the 6 "guys" gets 50 of the whole.
Thus, the remainder is 236-6*50=236-300=-64..ooops! (each getting 50 units)

2. That was a downer. We now let each of the 6 give back to the whole 12 units, thus we get:
236-300+72=8 (each having 50-10=40 units)

3. Now, we give each 1 unit, leving 8-6=2 as remainder (each getting 40+1=41 units)

4. Now, we give each a half-unit, leaving 2-3=-1 as remainder (each getting 41+0.5=41.5 units)

5. Darn, that was too much! Each then gives away 1/6, whereby there is no remainder, each sitting with 41.5-1/6 units, an expression you may fiddle further with.

Using powers of ten in the division process is just a clever systematization of the division process, not a necessary, intrinsic feature.

1. Why is long division not working for me?

There could be a few reasons why long division isn't working for you. It could be that you are making a mistake in one of the steps, or you may not fully understand the concept. It could also be that you are using the wrong method for the given problem.

2. How can I improve my long division skills?

Practice is key when it comes to improving your long division skills. Make sure you understand the concept and the steps involved. Then, try solving different problems and keep practicing until you feel confident.

3. Can I use a calculator for long division?

While using a calculator for long division can provide a quick solution, it is important to learn how to do it by hand as well. This will help you understand the process and improve your problem-solving skills.

4. What should I do if I get stuck on a long division problem?

If you get stuck on a long division problem, take a step back and try to identify where you may have made a mistake. Double-check your work and try to solve the problem again. You can also ask for help from a teacher or tutor.

5. Is there a faster way to do long division?

There are alternative methods for long division, such as the partial quotients method or the chunking method. However, it is important to understand the traditional long division method before trying these alternatives.