Horizontal Asymptote by Long Division?

In summary, a horizontal asymptote is a line that a graph approaches but never touches as the input variable approaches positive or negative infinity. To find a horizontal asymptote using long division, divide the highest degree term in the numerator by the highest degree term in the denominator. A polynomial can only have one horizontal asymptote, as the highest degree term in the numerator and denominator will eventually dominate the other terms as the input variable approaches infinity. A horizontal asymptote will appear as a straight line on a graph, and there are some exceptions to finding it using long division, such as with rational functions involving trigonometric or exponential functions.
Painguy

Homework Statement

Find the horizontal asymptote

hasymp7.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

There are two ways I did this problem. One way seems to be a coincidence and the other the "proper way"

1. I used long division, and got 2+(9x-3)/(x^2-2x)
2 seems to be the horizontal asymptote of the function

2.If we remove the highest degree terms from the function you end up with (2+(5/x) -(3/x))/(-2/x) with 2 being the horizontal asymptote.

Which is the proper method and why is it that everything I've ran into so far displays this.

Physics news on Phys.org
Painguy said:

Homework Statement

hasymp7.png

Homework Equations

There are two ways I did this problem. One way seems to be a coincidence and the other the "proper way"

2.If we remove the highest degree terms from the function you end up with (2+(5/x) -(3/x))/(-2/x) with 2 being the horizontal asymptote.

Which is the proper method and why is it that everything I've ran into so far displays this.

Both are correct methods, but you would probably choose to do the second method because it's easier (unless the question specifically asked for you to solve it with method 1.).
Do you understand why method 2. works? Also, you shouldn't be saying method 1. has an asymptote of 2 because it seems to be, you need to give a better reason than that!

Notice it's nearly the same as method 2. Can you show that the fractional part in method 1. has an asymptote of 0?

Painguy said:

Homework Statement

hasymp7.png

Homework Equations

Either way is fine. In the first case, you got
$$f(x)=\frac{2x^2+5x-3}{x^2-2x} = 2 + \frac{9x-3}{x^2-2x}.$$ If y=2 is the asymptote, that means the fractional term goes to 0 as x goes to ±∞. Do you understand why that's true?

In the second case, it looks like you have a few typos and meant
$$f(x) = \frac{2x^2+5x-3}{x^2-2x} = \frac{2 + \frac{5}{x} - \frac{3}{x^2}}{1-\frac{2}{x}}.$$ (If they weren't typos, you're not doing it right and need to figure that out.) When x grows large, the terms with x in the denominator become small, and you find f(x) approaches 2.

The second method is the one you'd use more often because long division is a pain.

Thanks guys, and yes I understand why the second method works. It's a limit related thing...right? :tongue:

Yes, [itex] \lim_{x → ∞} \frac{1}{x^n} = 0\,\, \forall\,\, n ≥ 1 [/itex]

1. What is a horizontal asymptote?

A horizontal asymptote is a line that a graph approaches but never touches as the input variable approaches positive or negative infinity.

2. How do you find a horizontal asymptote using long division?

To find a horizontal asymptote using long division, divide the highest degree term in the numerator by the highest degree term in the denominator. The resulting quotient will be the equation of the horizontal asymptote.

3. Can a polynomial have more than one horizontal asymptote?

No, a polynomial can only have one horizontal asymptote. This is because the highest degree term in the numerator and denominator will eventually dominate the other terms as the input variable approaches infinity.

4. What does a horizontal asymptote look like on a graph?

A horizontal asymptote will appear as a straight line, either horizontal or slanted, on a graph. The graph will approach this line but never intersect it.

5. Are there any exceptions to finding a horizontal asymptote using long division?

Yes, there are some special cases where long division may not accurately determine the equation of a horizontal asymptote. This can occur with rational functions that involve trigonometric or exponential functions.