Find Formula for 25 lb Weight Dropped in 100 ft Cylinder

• Thread starter VA80232
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Formula
In summary, the problem involves a hollow rectangular cylinder with a weight being dropped from the top and coming to rest at a certain distance from the bottom. The weight and the volume of the cylinder are important factors in determining the distance the weight will travel before coming to rest. The problem also requires making assumptions about the compression of the gas and the fit between the weight and the cylinder. The solution involves solving for the pressure below the weight and using this value to find the distance it will fall before coming to rest.
VA80232
This doesn't have to be exact. so if a some what simple formula might do the job, great.

I am requesting a formula for:

If I had a 100 ft tall cylinder. 2ft wide and 2ft long at the top and bottom equally. A square cylinder. I dropped a 25 pound weight from the top and it free fell loosing no air, at sea level.

How far would it drop towards the bottom before it stopped and held its own weight and how many pounds pressure would the compressed air be left in the cylinder?

This is not homework I am a vet senior citizen with a curiosity. Thank you for your help ahead of time.

Engineering news on Phys.org
I'm assuming you're talking about a float in water...

It all depends on how much the "cylinder" weighs. Basically all you need to do is calculate the volume of water being displaced an multiply by the density of water. His will give you the buoyancy of the float; subtract the weight of the system and you'll either have a net buoyancy (in which case it floats) or net weight (sinks).

VA80232 said:
This doesn't have to be exact. so if a some what simple formula might do the job, great.
I am requesting a formula for:

If I had a 100 ft tall cylinder. 2ft wide and 2ft long at the top and bottom equally. A square cylinder. I dropped a 25 pound weight from the top and it free fell loosing no air, at sea level.

How far would it drop towards the bottom before it stopped and held its own weight and how many pounds pressure would the compressed air be left in the cylinder?

This is not homework I am a vet senior citizen with a curiosity. Thank you for your help ahead of time.

I think we need some more information on your problem. For one thing, you didn't say if the top has a lid or the bottom has a lid or both or neither. The other guy answering seems to think you are IN the sea when you specified only the cylinder was at sea LEVEL which I assume you mean the cylinder is on land not water so will not be sinking. So does the cylinder have a lid or two or none? If no lid then you would loose air over the top, some air, depending on the size and shape of the 25 pound weight. Also, what is the shape of the weight? Is it like a washer, where the edge of the weight almost touches the inner walls? Or is it a sphere, like a big ball bearing? All those things make a difference when you construct problems like this. You need to specify more detail. So reconstruct your problem based on this advice, ok?

For instance, the density of the weight also matters, is it lead? Is it styrofoam? Do you see what difference that kind of thing can make? 25 pounds of lead, if it were in a shape of a ball, would be only a few inches across and wouldn't effect the air flow as much as if it were a plug of wood just under 2 feet square and a few inches thick. There, the air would slow down the plug because it would try to compress the air underneath and whatever air slips by the gaps at the edge would tell how much time goes by before it hits the bottom. If it were totally sealed but free to fall for instance, it would be basically a weight adding 25 pounds to the air column, compressing the air by some amount and altering the pressure inside (also the temperature a little bit), kind of like a pneumatic shock absorber, that's what happens inside it, it just compresses air which acts as a damper.

So what is it here?

Last edited:
OK, let me take a stab at what I 'think' you're talking about. Let's assume that you have a hollow rectangular cylinder with inner side lengths a, b; and height h. You also have a solid rectangular cylinder of lengths a, b, the height being irrelevant, and the weight, w. You want to know that given a "perfect" fit, how far down will the weight fall before it comes to rest given the pressure force it has generated.

If this is the case, then we can do it, but we must make some assumptions. Firstly, the gas compression is isentropic; that is, no heat is generated and the process is reversible with no loss in energy. Secondly, the fit is perfect and frictionless; that is, no heat is generated and all of the volume of gas below the mass stays below.

We define the distance the weight has fallen measured from the bottom (just slightly easier, you'll see) as x, and the pressures above and below as [tex]p_1[/tex] and [tex]p_2[/tex] respectively.

The weight will come to equilibrium when the force on the top equals the force on the bottom. There are three forces, two pressure forces and weight. Our free-body gives us:
[tex]
(p_2 - p_1)a b = w
[/tex]
The isentropic compression of a gas is given by
[tex]
\frac{p_2}{p_1} = \left(\frac{V_1}{V_2}\right)^\gamma
[/tex]
Where the V are before and after volumes. We solve for the pressure below the piston:
[tex]
p_2 = p_1\left(\frac{V_1}{V_2}\right)^\gamma
[/tex]
Since we don't care about a volume fraction, rather we'd know the height, we substitute in before and after volumes.
[tex]
p_2 = p_1\left(\frac{hab}{xab}\right)^\gamma
[/tex]
the width and height cancel giving is a simple ratio of heights:
[tex]
p_2 = p_1\left(\frac{h}{x}\right)^\gamma
[/tex]
We then plug this value for the pressure below the "piston" back into the force equilibrium equation:
[tex]
\left[ p_1\left(\frac{h}{x}\right)^\gamma - p_1\right] a b = w
[/tex]
Now, if I did my algebra correctly, the solution for x would be:
[tex]
x = \frac{h}{ \left[\frac{w}{p_1 a b} + 1\right]^{\frac{1}{\gamma}} }
[/tex]
The distance from the top y, could then be simply given by h-x. Also realizing that [tex]p_1[/tex] should just be ambient pressure. oops, almost forgot, [tex]\gamma[/tex] is the ratio of specific heats, defined as [tex]c_p / c_v[/tex]

Of course...there could be typos everywhere, but I think the process should be OK.

Well you know the final pressure will be, in your example 25lbs divided by the area (4 square ft). You can also assume the pressure times volume remains constant, so if the area A is 4sq.ft , then A*100ft*(initial pressure) = A*(final height)*Pressure. Cross off those As and: final height = 100ft*(initial pressure)/final pressure.
or:
Hf =Hi*Pi*A/w

Where Hf, Hi are final and initial heights, Pi is the initial (atmospheric) pressure, A is the area and w is the weight.

OOOPS. I forgot to add in the original pressure. The Pf is actually Pi + w/A, not just w/A as above.

Last edited:
Thank You, You have encouraged me to go back and take some math courses. Your formulas
are very helpful.

1. What is the formula for calculating the impact force of a 25 lb weight dropped in a 100 ft cylinder?

The formula for calculating impact force is F = m x a, where F is the force, m is the mass, and a is the acceleration. In this case, the mass is 25 lbs and the acceleration due to gravity is 32.2 ft/s². Therefore, the formula for calculating the impact force is F = 25 lbs x 32.2 ft/s² = 805 lbs-ft/s².

2. How do you determine the velocity of the weight at impact?

The velocity of the weight can be determined using the formula v = √(2gh), where v is the velocity, g is the acceleration due to gravity (32.2 ft/s²), and h is the height of the drop (100 ft). Plugging in these values, we get v = √(2 x 32.2 ft/s² x 100 ft) = √(6440 ft²/s²) = 80.2 ft/s.

3. What is the impact force if the weight is dropped in a vacuum?

If the weight is dropped in a vacuum, there is no air resistance and the only force acting on the weight is gravity. Therefore, the impact force will be the same as the weight of the object, which in this case is 25 lbs.

4. How does the height of the cylinder affect the impact force?

The impact force is directly proportional to the height of the cylinder. This means that the higher the cylinder, the greater the impact force will be. For example, if the height of the cylinder is doubled to 200 ft, the impact force will also double to 1610 lbs-ft/s².

5. Can the formula be used for different weights and heights?

Yes, the formula F = m x a can be used for any weight and height. As long as the units are consistent (e.g. weight in pounds and height in feet), the formula will give an accurate calculation of the impact force. However, it is important to note that this formula assumes a constant acceleration due to gravity and neglects factors such as air resistance, which may affect the actual impact force in real world scenarios.