1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Looking at this simple light problem

1. Mar 8, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Hi everyone! This question is very simple, but I just cannot think of anything to explain it.

The question is: A pillar in a concert hall can block the view of the audience but it has little effect on their hearing. Why?

1)Light is a transverse wave while sound is a longitudinal wave.
    2)Light is a EM wave but sound is a pressure wave.
    3)Light has a smaller/larger (cant remember) wavelength compared to sound.
    4)Light travels faster than sound.

All the options are tricky for me but I still put 2 as it is instinct (somewhat, but still no sense whatsoever). However, the answer is wrong and I still do not know the answer.

Anyone help?

Thanks.:blushing:

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 8, 2009 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

What determines how light--or any other wave--bends around an obstacle? (Look up diffraction.)

4. Mar 9, 2009 #3
    Ok....So diffraction. The longer the wavelength, the more it diffracts right? So sound has a longer wavelength?

5. Mar 9, 2009 #4

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Right.
    I'm not telling! Look up the typical wavelengths for visible light and for sound. Compare.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook