Looking for a book on Statistics and probability

In summary, the conversation is about someone looking for another book on probability and statistics after finishing "The Introduction to Probability and Statistics" book. The other person recommends "Applied Statistics and Probability for Engineers" by Douglas C. Montgomery and George C. Runger as a good book that applies techniques of probability and statistics to technical and engineering problems. They also mention "An Introduction to Probability Theory and Its Applications" by Feller as a classic for those serious about studying probability. Another recommendation is "Degroot: Introduction to Probability and Statistics", which is described as an okay and cheap book.
Henga
Hey There! I've finished reading The Introduction to Probability and Statistics book. Now I'm looking for another book as awesome as that was. Can anyone suggest me a book? Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Henga said:
Hey There! I've finished reading The Introduction to Probability and Statistics book. Now I'm looking for another book as awesome as that was. Can anyone suggest me a book? Thanks in advance.
The books quickly get more specialized and more technical. If you want to go further in the subject, you may want to indicate what statistical / probability subjects you are interested in. If you really love that book, it may be more valuable to read through it again and make sure that you really understand it all. If you want to go further, you should at least tell us what aspects of that book and what level you are looking for in books for future studies. If you are very serious about studying probability in detail, a classic that I can recommend without reservation is the three-volume series "An Introduction to Probability Theory and Its Applications" by Feller. I don't have a stand-out favorite for statistics, but there are many good ones on various subjects.

Likes Henga
" Applied Statistics and Probability for Engineers " , Douglas C. Montgomery , George C. Runger.

This book is good , I enjoyed it - it employs lots of figures, well written explanations and examples about technical/physical and engineering problems and it also applies techniques of probability and statistics to them ( for example : there are well-explained sections in this book talking how to characterize probabilistically a set of electric circuits ).

Not sure of you're math background.

I liked this book https://www.amazon.com/dp/1466575573/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Only goes through Probability theory.
Degroot : introduction to probability and statistics is ok book and cheap. Get an older edition or an Indian market version.

I would read the first book, and problems from Degroot.

1. What is the best book for beginners to learn about Statistics and Probability?

There are many great books out there for beginners to learn about Statistics and Probability. Some popular options include "Statistics for Dummies" by Deborah J. Rumsey, "Introduction to Probability" by Dimitri P. Bertsekas and John N. Tsitsiklis, and "The Cartoon Guide to Statistics" by Larry Gonick and Woollcott Smith.

2. Are there any books that cover both Statistics and Probability?

Yes, there are several books that cover both Statistics and Probability. Some recommended options include "All of Statistics: A Concise Course in Statistical Inference" by Larry Wasserman, "Probability and Statistics for Engineers and Scientists" by Ronald E. Walpole, Raymond H. Myers, Sharon L. Myers, and Keying E. Ye, and "Statistics and Probability for Engineering Applications" by William DeCoursey.

3. Can you recommend a book that focuses on real-world applications of Statistics and Probability?

If you are looking for a book that focuses on the practical applications of Statistics and Probability, "Naked Statistics: Stripping the Dread from the Data" by Charles Wheelan and "The Signal and the Noise: Why So Many Predictions Fail - But Some Don't" by Nate Silver are both highly recommended. These books use real-world examples and case studies to illustrate key concepts and make the subject more relatable for readers.

4. What is the best book for advanced learners looking to deepen their understanding of Statistics and Probability?

For advanced learners, "An Introduction to Probability Theory and Its Applications" by William Feller and "Statistical Inference" by George Casella and Roger L. Berger are highly recommended. These books delve into more complex topics and provide a rigorous understanding of Statistics and Probability.

5. Are there any online resources or interactive books available for learning about Statistics and Probability?

Yes, there are many online resources and interactive books available for learning about Statistics and Probability. Some popular options include "Khan Academy" and "Coursera", which offer free online courses on Statistics and Probability, and "Interactive Statistics: Informed Decisions Using Data" by Michael Sullivan III, which includes interactive features such as quizzes and videos to enhance the learning experience.