Looking for a book to understand physics theories

In summary: I have already read Manoukian-100 Years of Fundamental Theoretical Physics in the Palm of Your Hand. It is a very comprehensive book and covers a lot of the theories mentioned in your post. I have also read Walecka’s three books on modern physics. They are all great books and I would definitely recommend them. Weinberg’s (RIP) new book might also be of interest.
The Moon Gauge
Hi,
I am looking for a book exploring the current theories of physics and their fundamental interactions. As we know, each fundamental theory is associated to a specific interaction. I wish to explore this tree of theories and see their links.
Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
From your other threads, I think you already have a Master's degree in Physics and are applying to PhD programs now, right? What books have you found so far that fit this request?

So far I have not found such a book. I studied each branch of theoretical physics and the fundamental interactions in a quite compartmentalized way. I had a module on subatomic physics with one professor, another module in quantum physics with a different professor and some classes in optics (which theory is covering this area by the way?). So, didn't get the chance to get the bigger picture and I would like to have a clear perspective on these various theories before starting in academia.

• Skeptical
Likes PeroK
The Moon Gauge said:
So far I have not found such a book. I studied each branch of theoretical physics and the fundamental interactions in a quite compartmentalized way. I had a module on subatomic physics with one professor, another module in quantum physics with a different professor and some classes in optics (which theory is covering this area by the way?). So, didn't get the chance to get the bigger picture and I would like to have a clear perspective on these various theories before starting in academia.
With a degree in physics and the great resources of the Internet at your disposal, how can you be so helplessly confused?

Yes that can sound paradoxical but as a mentionned everything was taught in a compartmentalized way. Also, it is precisely because there are so many different resources online that I posted in this forum to ask about such a "reference book".

The Moon Gauge said:
Yes that can sound paradoxical but as a mentionned everything was taught in a compartmentalized way. Also, it is precisely because there are so many different resources online that I posted in this forum to ask about such a "reference book".
There's always Griffiths Introduction to Elementary Particles?

https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/book/10.1002/9783527618460

That's a standard textbook.

Thank you for this suggestion. From what I have seen it is more of a typical physics book focusing on particles physics. I was more looking for a book containing an overview of the tree linking all current theories in physics with their fundamental interactions rather than exploring one specific branch on physics.

The Moon Gauge said:
I was more looking for a book containing an overview of the tree linking all current theories in physics with their fundamental interactions
What does that even mean? There's the map of physics:

What about "A Unified Grand Tour of Theoretical Physics" by Lawrie?

Likes atyy, Demystifier, Frabjous and 2 others
Thank you George, that's the kind of book I am looking for:partytime:
You are right PeroK, I have not made myself clear enough perhaps. Basically, I am looking for the map of physics (more fundamental than theoretical) but in a book describing all the fundamental theories/sub-theories and their associated forces...For instance, quantum chromodynamics is one theory describing the strong interaction. I would like the book to explain this and to detail where does quantum chromodynamics stands with respects to quantum physics. Basically all the stuff that we don't learn in details during a physics degree.

Likes atyy and Delta2
Last edited:
Likes Viishnuuu, vanhees71, Demystifier and 1 other person
Thank you caz & Demystifier 👏

Likes Viishnuuu, Demystifier, Frabjous and 1 other person

What is the best book to understand physics theories?

The best book to understand physics theories will depend on your current level of understanding and your specific interests within the field of physics. Some popular options include "The Elegant Universe" by Brian Greene, "A Brief History of Time" by Stephen Hawking, and "The Feynman Lectures on Physics" by Richard Feynman.

Do I need a strong background in math to understand physics theories?

While a strong background in math can certainly be helpful in understanding physics theories, it is not always necessary. Many books on physics theories are written in a way that is accessible to those without an extensive math background, and there are also resources available to help you brush up on any necessary math skills.

Can I learn about physics theories without taking a formal course?

Yes, there are many books and online resources available that can help you learn about physics theories without taking a formal course. However, it is important to note that a formal course may provide more structured learning and opportunities for hands-on experimentation and practice.

Are there any books that make physics theories easy to understand?

There are several books that are written in a way that makes physics theories more approachable and easier to understand for those without a strong background in the subject. Some popular options include "A Brief History of Time" by Stephen Hawking and "The Elegant Universe" by Brian Greene.

Are there any online resources that can help me understand physics theories?

Yes, there are many online resources available that can help you understand physics theories. Some popular options include online courses, educational websites, and YouTube channels dedicated to explaining physics concepts in an accessible way.