Suggestions for a book on Particle Physics

In summary: This is the contents:Another very good and recommended book is: "Quarks and Leptons: An Introductory Course in Modern Particle Physics" by Francis Halzen and Alan D. Martin.
Birrabenzina
Hi everyone, I'm a senior undergrad in an Astrophysics BSc, and I just started my first course in Particle and Nuclear Physics.
Our teacher didn't suggest anything as a textbook, and on my own I couldn't find any really relevant/useful book for my course type, and now I'm here, hopefully having some suggestions.
As a guideline for suggestions.
-) The course is pretty broad, starting from relativistic particle scattering and particle accelerators, passing through Radioactive decay and finishing on Yukawa potentials and Feynman Diagrams. It's the first course on the subject and it supposes having taken a Quantum Mechanics and a Quantum Statistical Mechanics course, advanced math and physics shouldn't be a problem anymore.

Physics news on Phys.org
D. J. Griffiths' "Introduction to Elemantary Particle Physics" is a good book; I've seen it being recommended many times.

This is the contents:

Screenshot_20180330-191241.png

Screenshot_20180330-191254.png

Screenshot_20180330-191301.png

Screenshot_20180330-191308.png

Have a look whether it will suit your needs as an introductory book.

N.B.: Anyone who thinks that I have posted copyrighted content here, please note that these are only the contents pages, only to help the OP understand whether the book will be helpful for him. I have no intention of violating any copyright.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180330-191308.png
    Screenshot_20180330-191308.png
    11.1 KB · Views: 1,124
  • Screenshot_20180330-191301.png
    Screenshot_20180330-191301.png
    20 KB · Views: 1,070
  • Screenshot_20180330-191254.png
    Screenshot_20180330-191254.png
    15.6 KB · Views: 1,132
  • Screenshot_20180330-191241.png
    Screenshot_20180330-191241.png
    14.8 KB · Views: 1,136
Last edited:
Likes vanhees71, Demystifier, The Bill and 1 other person
Wrichik Basu said:
D. J. Griffiths' "Introduction to Elemantary Particle Physics" is a good book; I've seen it being recommended many times.

Have a look at whether it will suit your needs (at least to some extent).
Now I'm just looking for whatever kind of book, I'll check them up at the Physics Department's library after Easter and I'll buy the one that fits me best, hence every suggestion is well accepted.

Birrabenzina said:
Now I'm just looking for whatever kind of book, I'll check them up at the Physics Department's library after Easter and I'll buy the one that fits me best, hence every suggestion is well accepted.
I've just posted the contents. Have a look.

Likes Birrabenzina
Wrichik Basu said:
I've just posted the contents. Have a look.
The links don't work, can you link directly the book on Amazon? Maybe there's the "look inside" function for this book

Birrabenzina said:
The links don't work, can you link directly the book on Amazon? Maybe there's the "look inside" function for this book
Now have a look.

Another very good and recommended book is: "Quarks and Leptons: An Introductory Course in Modern Particle Physics" by Francis Halzen and Alan D. Martin

Likes vanhees71, Demystifier and Birrabenzina
Wrichik Basu said:

This is the contents:

View attachment 223061

View attachment 223060

View attachment 223059

View attachment 223058

Have a look whether it will suit your needs as an introductory book.

N.B.: Anyone who thinks that I have posted copyrighted content here, please note that these are only the contents pages, only to help the OP understand whether the book will be helpful for him. I have no intention of violating any copyright.

Okay, looking now at the index seems like that this book might do for the course

You may have a look at the contents of the book "Quarks and Leptons: An Introductory Course in Modern Particle Physics" by Francis Halzen and Alan D. Martin here.

Likes vanhees71 and Birrabenzina
Likes Demystifier and Wrichik Basu

1. What is particle physics?

Particle physics is a branch of physics that deals with the study of the smallest building blocks of matter and the fundamental forces that govern their interactions.

2. Who is this book intended for?

This book is intended for anyone with a basic understanding of physics and a curiosity about the subatomic world. It can be helpful for students, scientists, and anyone interested in learning more about particle physics.

3. What topics will be covered in this book?

This book will cover a wide range of topics in particle physics, including the Standard Model, quantum mechanics, particle accelerators, and current research and discoveries in the field.

4. Will there be any mathematical equations in this book?

Yes, there will be some mathematical equations included in this book. However, they will be explained in a way that is accessible to readers without an extensive mathematical background.

5. How will this book benefit readers?

This book will provide readers with a deeper understanding of the fundamental building blocks of our universe and the forces that govern them. It will also showcase the exciting advancements and discoveries being made in the field of particle physics.