Introductory book on particle physics

In summary: So, in summary, the individual is looking for a particle physics book that starts with basic concepts and provides complete proofs for everything, particularly focusing on spinless particle interactions as an introduction to Feynman calculus. They are recommended D.J. Griffiths' text, 2nd edition, as the most up-to-date option. However, the individual also notes that this book does not provide proofs and equations are simply given without much explanation. They are then recommended Srednicki's book, which can be found online, and Lancaster & Blundell's book, which may be difficult to find due to high demand. The individual also suggests brushing up on quantum mechanics with Sakurai & Napolitano's book. It is noted that
Silviu
Hello! Can someone please recommend me a particle physics book that starts from the very basic concepts, but gives complete proofs for everything (for example, I want to start with the "spinless" particles interactions as an introduction to Feynman calculus, but I don't want them to just write down the differential cross section formula, without all the math behind). Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
D.J. Griffiths' text is the one I would recommend, 2nd edition of 2008 to be a little more up to date.

dextercioby said:
D.J. Griffiths' text is the one I would recommend, 2nd edition of 2008 to be a little more up to date.
Thank you! I used that book. It is good indeed, but he doesn't proves anything. All the equations and Feynman rules are just given (maybe a little bit explained at the end). But this is not what I want.

I'd recommend Srednicki supplemented with Lancaster & Blundell.

The PDF draft of Srednicki's book is here: http://web.physics.ucsb.edu/~mark/qft.html

Lancaster & Blundell has been selling out quickly every time they restock at Amazon lately. It's being sold used a lot, so there are several Amazon sales pages for it. I'd recommend searching for it with Amazon's search periodically to find a good price or wait for new copies to be back in stock. Searching by ISBN on addall.com sometimes also yields good results, and sometimes links directly to difficult-to-find used sales pages on Amazon. The ISBN I used to search it on Amazon is 9780199699339.

Oh, and if you need to brush up on your quantum mechanics, I can recommend the paperback international edition of Sakurai & Napolitano. I bought one as an extra copy recently, and the printing, paper, and binding are quite good for an international edition, or about average compared to most Western paperback textbooks I've used.

Likes dextercioby
Silviu said:
Thank you! I used that book. It is good indeed, but he doesn't proves anything. All the equations and Feynman rules are just given (maybe a little bit explained at the end). But this is not what I want.
Based on this, it appears that what you want is a book on quantum field theory. I think books labeled "particle physics" tend to be more about phenomenology than about a rigorous presentation of the theory.

We regularly have threads about QFT books, including this one which is currently on the first page of this forum:

https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/quantum-field-theory-books-for-undergraduates.898528/

1. What is particle physics?

Particle physics is a branch of physics that studies the fundamental building blocks of matter and the forces that govern their interactions. These building blocks, known as particles, range from tiny subatomic particles like quarks and electrons to larger particles like protons and neutrons.

2. Who is this introductory book on particle physics intended for?

This introductory book on particle physics is intended for anyone with a basic understanding of physics and mathematics. It is suitable for high school and college students, as well as those interested in learning about the field of particle physics.

3. What are some key concepts covered in this book?

This book covers key concepts such as the Standard Model of particle physics, the four fundamental forces (gravity, electromagnetism, strong and weak nuclear forces), particle accelerators, and the discovery of new particles.

4. Is this book up-to-date with the latest research in particle physics?

Yes, this book is regularly updated to include the latest research and discoveries in the field of particle physics. It also includes discussions on current topics and ongoing research in the field.

5. Can this book be used as a textbook for a course on particle physics?

Yes, this book can be used as a textbook for an introductory course on particle physics. It provides a comprehensive overview of the subject and includes exercises and problems for students to practice and deepen their understanding.