Looking for a good physics book for an 8th grader

In summary: Actually, your son should have done Algebra one by now. College level math is not required for the Physics major. College level math is required for the Engineering major.I'll tell how my parents had helped in developeing my love for physics. Firstly, I went to a teacher in class 7, who, due to his lack of time and owing to similarity of syllabus, used to teach me with class 8. In my school, class 9 syllabus is taught in 8, so I was practically studying ninth grade topics in seventh grade. My father, being a civil engineer, knew some good books in Physics, which he bought for me. They were all class 11 or 12 books, like Concepts of Physics by H.
Scrumhalf
Gold Member
My son, who had been into biology and paleontology throughout middle school, is now veering suddenly towards physics. I've been bombarded with questions like "why do hot objects radiate light" and "what is electromagnetic radiation" and so on. Being an electrical engineer, I can handle most of these questions, or look up what I cannot, but it would be nice to buy him a book (or 5) for his upcoming birthday.

Can you recommend any good books that he can handle? Obviously, the focus should be on concepts, rather than equations at this stage, but we did talk about the relationship between energy and frequency, and I showed him what Plank's constant is and so on.

Subjects could be varied - I'm thinking thermodynamics and heat, atomic/quantum theory, and electricity/magetism could be topics that are accessible with the right treatment.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Jewel Walker wrote a book some time ago called the Flying Circus Of Physics that had explanations like this.

http://www.flyingcircusofphysics.com/

There is the Benjamin Crowell free downloadable book on Conceptual Physics that is geared for linreral arts majors but may be beyond your sons reading level. But hey it’s free and he’s got other books at his website www.lightandmatter.com

Barnes and Noble usually has bargain books on physics like Science 1001 and Physics in Minutes and Physics in a 100 Numbers

And there are DK books on Science with lots of cool illustrations and their Universe book.

Simple concepts can be learned through good documentaries.
Pearson make quite interesting textbooks.
I think it would be a good idea for your son to read some non-fiction books on physics by famous authors like Stephen Hawking, Michio Kaku and Ian Stewart.

Scrumhalf said:
Obviously, the focus should be on concepts, rather than equations at this stage
This is a fun book that I bought for my son in early high school. It may help to inspire some fun discussions with your son:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0935218068/?tag=pfamazon01-20

51GS1YG4DEL._SX320_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Likes QuantumQuest, ibkev, StoneTemplePython and 1 other person
Thanks! Great suggestions! We watch a lot of documentaries. I'll check out the book recommendations. Thanks again!

Yes, @Ivan Samsonov says there are some really good documentaries out there. I've found many on YouTube.

Some great resources are Veritasium, Minute Physics and VSauce on youtube.

Likes Scrumhalf
Hewitt: Conceptual Physics...Some math, not much, very low level algebra, something an 8tgh grader should be able to handle.

Likes Scrumhalf
@Scrumhalf You should teach him a bit of basic Physics first, like vectors or so. His inquisitive nature is very good one. Introduce him to Atomic Structure, amd then to the jewel, quantum. Also teach him a deal of classical, and show him how they differ.

I'll tell how my parents had helped in developeing my love for physics. Firstly, I went to a teacher in class 7, who, due to his lack of time and owing to similarity of syllabus, used to teach me with class 8. In my school, class 9 syllabus is taught in 8, so I was practically studying ninth grade topics in seventh grade. My father, being a civil engineer, knew some good books in Physics, which he bought for me. They were all class 11 or 12 books, like Concepts of Physics by H. C. Verma and Fundamentals of Physics by Resnick and Halliday. These gave a boost to the interest, and then I never had to look behind.

Introduce your son to new concepts, and let him do some research. Gradually interest will grow, and will reach the peak and become constant. :smile:

Likes smodak, Scrumhalf and berkeman
Thanks! Yes, I've been teaching him the basics like you indicate. Just want to supplement it with some good reading material.

Scrumhalf said:
Thanks! Yes, I've been teaching him the basics like you indicate. Just want to supplement it with some good reading material.
Actually, there is practically no good book for a student in class 8. Even I had faced this difficulty, as I didn't know all the calculus then. Still, I tried, as my father has completely forgotten calculus since he never needs to use it in his work. You can remove the calculus derivations, and teach him the phenomena and the guiding principles of the phenomena.

Like, you can easily explain Coulomb's Law, but don't do the sums, but do the phenomena that are explained by it. Mechanics is a bit of a problem. In optics, you can teach him all formulae as you don't have great calculus derivations in class 11. Explain the phenomena of radioactivity, tell him Bohr's theory, Planck's theory, and give him an idea of particle physics.

Once he has the maturity, you can go forth and teach Trigonometry and single variable calculus. Then it'll be no more a problem.

Happy knowledge hunting for father and son! :smile:

Has he done Algebra one yet already? Why don't you send him to College to do Algebra one based physics.

Apple_Mango said:
Has he done Algebra one yet already? Why don't you send him to College to do Algebra one based physics.
It sounds like he is in the US, and you can take Community College classes while you are in high school, but I'm not sure that an algebra-based class would fit for him. In a year or two he should be able to take a Calculus-based physics class (either in high school or at a Community College).

Ivan Samsonov said:
Simple concepts can be learned through good documentaries.
Pearson make quite interesting textbooks.
I think it would be a good idea for your son to read some non-fiction books on physics by famous authors like Stephen Hawking, Michio Kaku and Ian Stewart.

I am currently reading them. Very insightful.

One problem Physics students often have with popular versions of physics books is that the author claims can’t be easily related to what’s learned in class and it causes a lot of pain to the student who thought they understood a topic conceptually.

Relativity is an especially problematic topic. We see that here where posters do gedanken experiments and ask questions that make no sense if you understand the backstory math, math that’s difficult to convey to them.

Likes QuantumQuest, Wrichik Basu and ISamson
@jedishrfu: I would be interested in your opinion on Lewis Carroll Epstein's "Relativity Visualized". Do you know it?

I haven't read it yet but I really like his other book "Thinking Physics" which has already been mentioned above by berkeman.

Last edited:
kith said:
@jedishrfu: I would be interested in your opinion on Lewis Carroll Epstein's "Relativity Visualized". Do you know it?

I haven't read it yet but I really like his other book "Thinling Physics" which has already been mentioned above by berkeman.
No I’ve not seen the book. Has it helped you in your physics classes? Nowadays I’m thinking more of the string theory books where the math is beyond a layman’s understanding and so analogies are used but a student of the subject will struggle to see how the analogy fits with the math creating a long period of confusion.

What about this book ?
Hugh D Young_ Roger A Freedman_ Albert Lewis Ford-Sears and Zemansky's university physics _ with modern physics

I think that i a calculus based text, I would suspect it is too advanced for a middle schooler

Likes berkeman
After trying to learn computer science and numerical methods . This is what i have learned from my past experiences .

Science is a differential equation. Religion is a boundary condition - Alan Turing

jedishrfu said:
No I’ve not seen the book. Has it helped you in your physics classes?
No, I just happen to like his other books and thought that maybe you know it, because you were commenting about relativity without math.

1. What are the recommended physics books for 8th graders?

Some popular and highly recommended physics books for 8th graders include "The Physics Book: From the Big Bang to Quantum Resurrection, 250 Milestones in the History of Physics" by Clifford A. Pickover, "The Cartoon Guide to Physics" by Larry Gonick and Art Huffman, and "Physics for Kids: 49 Easy Experiments" by Robert W. Wood.

2. What concepts should an 8th grader understand before diving into a physics book?

Before reading a physics book, 8th graders should have a basic understanding of math concepts such as algebra, geometry, and basic trigonometry. They should also have a general understanding of scientific principles and the scientific method.

3. Are there any interactive or hands-on physics books for 8th graders?

Yes, there are many interactive and hands-on physics books for 8th graders. Some examples include "The Way Things Work Now" by David Macaulay, which includes pop-up and pull-out diagrams to explain complex concepts, and "The Manga Guide to Physics" by Hideo Nitta, which uses manga illustrations and storytelling to engage readers.

4. How can I find a physics book that is appropriate for an 8th grader's reading level?

One way to find a physics book with an appropriate reading level for an 8th grader is to look for books that are specifically written for middle school students. Another option is to look for books with a recommended age range on the book's cover or online description. You can also read reviews or ask for recommendations from teachers or librarians.

5. Are there any online resources or apps that can supplement a physics book for 8th graders?

Yes, there are many online resources and apps that can supplement a physics book for 8th graders. Some examples include educational YouTube channels such as Crash Course Kids and Khan Academy, interactive simulations and games on websites like PhET Interactive Simulations, and educational apps like "Physics Formulas and Calculations" or "Simple Physics."