• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

What is the best physics text book to refer to these content

Main Question or Discussion Point

Alright, I am looking for a good physics textbooks that cover all or most of these contents given below:
  • Measurement
  • Mechanics
  • Oscillations and Waves
  • Thermal Physics
  • Gravitational Field
  • Electrostatic field
  • Magnetic Field
  • Current Electricity
  • Electronics
  • Mechanical Properties of Matter
  • Matter and Radiation
Please help me find good books. If you in case miss out some contents when mentioning books, please mention some other books that cover the contents you missed out when mentioning the the other books. Mention the books name and the contents it covers. I would really appreciate it if you all help me.

Answers and Replies

berkeman
Mentor
Welcome to the PF.

From your New Member Introduction post and your Profile, it's hard to know what level you are right now in your studies. Are you in high school, undergraduate university, or post-high school and self studying?

Have you found online resources like Hyperphysics and the MIT online videos?

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/hframe.html

https://ocw.mit.edu/index.htm
Thank you for the links berkman! By the way I am looking for basic physics books. I mean I just started the course of Advanced Level Physics in Sri Lanka, therefore I am looking for books to know this subject. I am no physics expert by the way, but I want to be. In order to do that, I want to know this wondrous subject. The above stated contents are from our advanced level physics course's syllabus, I would really appreciate if you recommend some books that go with the above stated contents. I am a secondary school student in Sri Lanka. It would be great if you recommend some eBooks too, Thank you!

Last edited:
Thank you for the links berkman! By the way I am looking for basic physics books. I mean I just started the course of Advanced Level Physics in Sri Lanka, therefore I am looking for books to know this subject. I am no physics expert by the way, but I want to be. In order to do that, I want to know this wondrous subject. The above stated contents are from our advanced level physics course's syllabus, I would really appreciate if you recommend some books that go with the above stated contents. I am a secondary school student in Sri Lanka. It would be great if you recommend some eBooks too, Thank you!
For basics, Resnick Halliday covers most of those topics.

You may also look up some lectures courses. Prof. Ramamurti Shankar has two courses: Fundamentals of Physics I and Fundamentals of Physics II. Most of the basic topics are covered in these lectures.

Another good option is to go to the media gallery in PF and search for videos under the required category.

For basics, Resnick Halliday covers most of those topics.

You may also look up some lectures courses. Prof. Ramamurti Shankar has two courses: Fundamentals of Physics I and Fundamentals of Physics II. Most of the basic topics are covered in these lectures.

Another good option is to go to the media gallery in PF and search for videos under the required category.
Thank you Wrichik Basu! I am so grateful to you. By the way I have acquired a copy of Fundamentals of physics by Resnick Halliday, don't you know of anymore resources?

Last edited:
Thank you Wrichik Basu! I am so grateful to you. By the way I have acquired a copy of Fundamentals of physics by Resnick Halliday, don't you know of anymore resources?
Other than the book, my greatest resources are those videos. I have myself learnt from them and they are just excellent.

Prof. Shankar has also published books on the two lecture courses (they have the same name as the courses). But I would advise one to read the books after attaining the lectures. The books are meant to work as supplementary material.

Other than that, you can use Prof. H. C. Verma's Concepts of Physics volumes 1 and 2. They are meant for basic levels, and have good number of exercises after each chapter.

Other than the book, my greatest resources are those videos. I have myself learnt from them and they are just excellent.

Prof. Shankar has also published books on the two lecture courses (they have the same name as the courses). But I would advise one to read the books after attaining the lectures. The books are meant to work as supplementary material.

Other than that, you can use Prof. H. C. Verma's Concepts of Physics volumes 1 and 2. They are meant for basic levels, and have good number of exercises after each chapter.
Thank you so much Wrichik Basu! I appreciate your help very much. Those lecture videos are dope! Thank you again!

I'm not sure if these are out of your price range. But look at Alonso and Finn: Fundamental University Physics.

There are pdfs floating around. I believe the first edition is out of copyright.

These are the best freshman level textbooks, besides books aimed towards a more "bright" population, such as, Kleppner and Kolenkow, Purcell, Morin.

I'm not sure if these are out of your price range. But look at Alonso and Finn: Fundamental University Physics.

There are pdfs floating around. I believe the first edition is out of copyright.

These are the best freshman level textbooks, besides books aimed towards a more "bright" population, such as, Kleppner and Kolenkow, Purcell, Morin.
Thank you, really helps mate! :smile: