Looking for a picture of black body radiation from an oven

In summary, this illustration of a black body radiation from an oven is important because it illustrates the thermal equilibrium conditions needed for the objects inside to be indistinguishable.
lalbatros
Hello,

looking for a picture of black body radiation from an oven

Years ago I had found a nice illustration.
An opened hot oven was shown.
The pottery inside could hardly be seen.
This illustrated what I believe is one of most important aspect of a black body.
If is specially useful to illustrate the origin and role of the "view factor".
Indeed, would the objects be replaced by a plate, a sphere, or anything else, the picture would remain the same if the thermal equilibrium conditions are satisfied. Objects cannot be distinguished.

I even remember that there were two picture: first before warming the oven, the second for the hot oven.

Unfortunately, I spent one hour looking for this picture or a similar one with google, and I could not find it!

Could some of you indicate me where I could find such a nice picture, even in some book (hopefully on google preview or amazon preview).

Thanks,

Michel

Bonus question
I would also be interrested to find the simplest proof that thermodynamic equilibrium leads to the fact illustrated by the picture: no object could be distinguished in an oven at thermodynamic equilibrium.

Last edited:
Science news on Phys.org

1. What is black body radiation from an oven?

Black body radiation from an oven refers to the electromagnetic radiation emitted by a heated cavity, or oven, that is in thermal equilibrium with its surroundings. This radiation is emitted at all wavelengths and is independent of the material or shape of the oven.

2. Why is it called "black body" radiation?

The term "black body" refers to an idealized object that absorbs all radiation that falls on it and emits radiation at all wavelengths. An oven is often used to demonstrate this concept because it is a closed cavity that can absorb and emit radiation without any reflection.

3. How is black body radiation from an oven different from other types of radiation?

Unlike other types of radiation, such as thermal radiation from a light bulb or ultraviolet radiation from the sun, black body radiation from an oven is not dependent on the material or temperature of the object. It is solely determined by the temperature of the oven and its surroundings.

4. What does black body radiation from an oven look like?

The appearance of black body radiation from an oven varies depending on the temperature of the oven. At lower temperatures, the radiation may appear as a dull red glow, while at higher temperatures it may appear as a bright white light. However, since this radiation is emitted at all wavelengths, it is not visible to the human eye.

5. Why is it important to study black body radiation from an oven?

Studying black body radiation from an oven allows us to better understand the behavior of electromagnetic radiation and the principles of thermodynamics. This knowledge can be applied in various fields, such as engineering, astronomy, and climate science, to improve our understanding and technology related to heat transfer and energy emission.