Looking For A Place In Los Angeles

• Thread starter Entropia
  • Start date
In summary, Damgo recommends Downtown LA and West Hollywood in particular as neighborhoods to consider. He also mentions Long Beach as a nice place that has seen improvement.
Entropia
hey people,

im moving to LA and i am looking for a place. preferably somewhere in the downtown or hollywood area. but just about anywhere within a reasonable radius of cal state LA will do.

whether it be an attic room, a basement, a one bed room apt. or a studio... i don't care, I am not too picky and i don't have much of a high standard of living anyway.

i don't smoke, i don't have any pets, i don't care about cable or satelite tv cos i don't even own a tv in the first place.

im a rather quiet and reclusive sort.

ok thnx.

Physics news on Phys.org
Originally posted by Entropia
hey people,

im moving to LA and i am looking for a place. preferably somewhere in the downtown or hollywood area. but just about anywhere within a reasonable radius of cal state LA will do.

whether it be an attic room, a basement, a one bed room apt. or a studio... i don't care, I am not too picky and i don't have much of a high standard of living anyway.

i don't smoke, i don't have any pets, i don't care about cable or satelite tv cos i don't even own a tv in the first place.

im a rather quiet and reclusive sort.

ok thnx.

I grew up in LA. Find out as much as possible about the area you are considering. You could easily end up in a very dangerous neighborhood. Not only have I worked in the worst areas of LA [at nearly every [edit; major] hospital due to my work on CAT scans, MRI units etc], and I can tell you there are places in LA that you don't want to be, but I have also traveled a great deal; as a result I have also worked with engineers who have worked all over the world. One of the most worldly of these once commented that East LA is the scariest place he had ever been.

'eh. east LA doesn't freak me out really.

although... the wholesale district (aka skidrow) in the downtown area on the other hand... <cringe>

any other suggestions?

^^ Heh, when was the last time you saw it? Downtown got way, way nicer a few years ago...

What kind of a town are you looking for? Cheap, quiet, upscale, active, hip? West Hollywood is a fun area; so is Westwood, by UCLA. A friend lived in Los Feliz, which was really nice though a bit expensive. Pasadena is nice, quiet, and relatively cheap.

Originally posted by damgo
^^ Heh, when was the last time you saw it? Downtown got way, way nicer a few years ago...

What kind of a town are you looking for? Cheap, quiet, upscale, active, hip? West Hollywood is a fun area; so is Westwood, by UCLA. A friend lived in Los Feliz, which was really nice though a bit expensive. Pasadena is nice, quiet, and relatively cheap.

Off topic: I was down in Long Beach a couple of years ago and I couldn't believe what they have done with the downtown area. I remember that area as skid row and a very dangerous place. I think this is the first example of which I am aware, of a really bad area in LA being renewed. It was really great to see.

PS. I used to work frequently at MLK hospital in Watts. I have seen houses with entire walls missing! That is one scary place. One side note, if you are ever shot or stabbed MLK is the place to be. They deal with the stuff daily. A doctor once joked that while eating his lunch, he had to do open heart massage on an ER patient.

Last edited:

1. What is the average cost of living in Los Angeles?

The average cost of living in Los Angeles can vary depending on the neighborhood and lifestyle. According to Numbeo, the average monthly cost for a single person is around $1,100 for rent, $400 for groceries, and $100 for utilities, making the total around $1,600. However, this can increase significantly if you choose to live in more expensive areas or have a higher standard of living.

2. Is it difficult to find affordable housing in Los Angeles?

Yes, it can be challenging to find affordable housing in Los Angeles. The high demand for housing and limited availability can drive up prices, making it difficult for those on a budget. It is recommended to research different neighborhoods and consider sharing living space or looking for roommate opportunities to reduce living costs.

3. What are the best neighborhoods to live in Los Angeles?

The best neighborhoods to live in Los Angeles depend on personal preferences and needs. Some popular areas include Santa Monica for its beach access and vibrant nightlife, Beverly Hills for its luxurious lifestyle, and Silver Lake for its trendy and artistic community. It is recommended to research and visit different neighborhoods to find the best fit for you.

4. What is the job market like in Los Angeles?

The job market in Los Angeles is diverse and offers opportunities in various industries, including entertainment, technology, and healthcare. However, competition for jobs can be high, so it is essential to have a strong resume and network to increase your chances of finding employment.

5. How is the public transportation system in Los Angeles?

The public transportation system in Los Angeles consists of buses, trains, and light rail. While it is not as extensive as other major cities, it is continuously expanding and improving. However, many residents still prefer to use their cars for transportation, so it is essential to consider the location and accessibility of public transportation when looking for a place in Los Angeles.

Back