Looking for a textbook introduction to integrals of the following form

In summary, the conversation is about finding a textbook that deals with integrals similar to S = \int dx^4 \Omega \, e^{i \int \mathcal{L} dt}. The speaker is looking for a textbook that explains the significance of the Lagrangian being in the exponent and provides an example of minimizing S. The speaker mentions finding a relevant discussion on stackexchange and mentions having a book by Zee. They also clarify that the action is only the integral in the exponent of e.
Prez Cannady
Summary:: Pretty sure they have something to do with path integrals, or what not. But obviously it's hard to *search* for this stuff.

Basically, I'm looking for a textbook, any textbook--physics, mathematics, etc.--that deals with integrals that look something like this (mistakes are mine):

[tex]S = \int dx^4 \Omega \, e^{i \int \mathcal{L} dt}[/tex]

Where [itex]S[/itex] is an action to be minimized, [itex]\Sigma[/itex] is just something integrable across the 4-volume and [itex]\mathcal{L}[/itex] is a Lagrangian. Ideally, looking for something that:

1. explains why the Lagrangian is in the exponent of [itex]e[/itex] like that and what it signifies, and
2. works an example of minimizing [itex]S[/itex].

Basically, just want to know where to start.

Physics news on Phys.org
Sweet. I have Zee.

Okay, so first of all it seems the action is *not* the expression, but just the integral in the exponent of [itex]e[/itex]. That's good to know.

1. What is an integral?

An integral is a mathematical concept that represents the area under a curve in a given interval. It is the inverse operation of differentiation and is commonly used in calculus to solve problems involving continuous functions.

2. What is a textbook introduction to integrals?

A textbook introduction to integrals is a section in a math textbook that explains the basic concepts and techniques of integration. It typically includes definitions, examples, and exercises to help students understand and practice solving integrals.

3. What are integrals of the form f(x)dx?

Integrals of the form f(x)dx are known as indefinite integrals or antiderivatives. They represent the set of all functions whose derivative is equal to f(x). In other words, they are the inverse operation of differentiation and can be solved using integration techniques.

4. What are the different types of integrals?

There are several types of integrals, including definite integrals, indefinite integrals, improper integrals, and line integrals. Each type has its own definition and properties, and they are used to solve different types of problems in mathematics and physics.

5. How do I solve integrals of the form f(x)dx?

To solve integrals of the form f(x)dx, you can use various integration techniques such as substitution, integration by parts, trigonometric substitution, and partial fractions. It is important to understand the properties and rules of integration and practice solving different types of integrals to improve your skills.