Looking for Advice on MS v Ph.D. and Letters of Rec

• Thread starter bueller11
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ph.d Ph.d.
In summary, the individual graduated with a BS in Engineering Physics 7 years ago but was unable to pursue a graduate degree at that time. They have been working in computer software but wish to switch to a career in physics, specifically research in gravity and general theory of relativity. Their questions are whether to go straight to a PhD program or get a masters first, and what recommendations should be made for letters of recommendation. They are considering getting a masters first to improve their chances of getting into a better PhD program and are unsure about the type of recommendations needed. They have some academic research experience, but it was a while ago. They are also looking for recommendations for a decent MS program in Southern California.
bueller11
I graduated with a BS in Engineering Physics 7 years ago, and at that time I wasn't able to go to grad school. Since then I've been doing computer software and frankly hate it, and really wish I could have finished my education then. Anyhow, I would like to go pursue the advanced degree in physics so I can finally make that my career. My goal is to do research in gravity a la gravity waves and the general theory of relativity, but perhaps the computational route since therein lies my experience. So, my questions are

1) Would it be recommended to go to a masters program or straight to a ph.d. program? and
2) What recommendations can be made concerning letters of recommendations?

Question 1 arises more from insecurity, I'm wondering if it's advisable to get the masters first because my overall GPA was shotty and my major GPA was only 3.00. I haven't taken the Physics GRE yet, but I'm not sure I'd score very high seeing as I haven't been doing physics over the past 7 years.

Question 2 is really confusing me. Most schools look like they want 3 academic recommendations, but I haven't kept in contact with any profs from undergrad (not even the prof I did research with). So, I have no contacts for academic recs, but I can get professional ones no problem.

Any insight is appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'd suggest the MS first. You need to paper over the fact that you haven't done much physics lately, and when you were studying, your results were a bit spotty.

I think that professional recommendations are fine. It might be slightly better if you could get recommendations from people with graduate degrees... the recommendations should speak to your suitability for graduate studies, and I think that this is better addressed by people who know what this entails.

Good luck!

I'd say, go for an MS first. That way, you can get some research experience, academic letters of recommendation, brush up on physics, and probably get into a better PhD school. Unfortunately, you probably won't get any funding.

Thanks for the replies! That's kind of what I was thinking and have been preparing for.

Good insight on the professional recommendations, tmfkan64, thanks!

I did do some undergrad research and got the results published (lucky enough to have my name first), but that was so long ago I'm thinking it's not going to carry a lot of weight. I also won a university-wide award for it :)

Can anyone recommend a SoCal school with a decent MS program?

FAQ: Looking for Advice on MS v Ph.D. and Letters of Rec

1. What is the difference between an MS and a Ph.D.?

An MS (Master of Science) degree is an advanced graduate degree that typically takes 2-3 years to complete. It is focused on coursework and may require a thesis or research project. A Ph.D. (Doctor of Philosophy) is the highest level of academic degree and typically takes 5-7 years to complete. It is research-intensive and requires a dissertation on a unique topic.

2. Which degree should I pursue - MS or Ph.D.?

This depends on your career goals and personal interests. If you are interested in a career in industry or want to gain specialized knowledge in a particular field, an MS may be the better option. If you are interested in a career in academia or want to conduct research in a specific field, a Ph.D. may be more suitable.

3. How important are letters of recommendation for MS and Ph.D. applications?

Letters of recommendation are a crucial part of the application process for both MS and Ph.D. programs. They provide insight into your academic abilities, personal qualities, and potential for success in graduate school. Strong letters of recommendation can make a significant difference in the admission decision.

4. Whom should I ask for letters of recommendation?

It is best to ask for letters of recommendation from professors or professionals who know you well and can speak to your academic abilities, personal qualities, and potential for success in graduate school. They should also be individuals who you have a good working relationship with and who can provide specific and detailed examples of your strengths.

5. How can I ensure strong letters of recommendation?

To ensure strong letters of recommendation, it is important to maintain good relationships with your professors and professionals. This includes actively participating in class, seeking their guidance and advice, and being a responsible and dedicated student. Additionally, provide your recommenders with all the necessary information and materials, such as your resume, personal statement, and specific instructions for the letter.