• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products via PF Here!

Want to study nano-particles in Germany, Ph.D. or a second Master?

• Thread starter Tekk
  • Start date
Hello,

I have completed a Master program in China, during which, I joined in a project applying nano-particles in optical device. The project motivated me to study optical property of nano-particles, and I am looking for a Ph.D. position in Germany. The problem is: how do I get known with my potential research group since I have no way to visit there? Two thoughts came to my mind:

A.
Before entering Ph.D, I apply to an international Master program in Germany, such as MAOT.

http://www.aot.uni-erlangen.de/maot/home.html

During the Master, I may get known with the people and research their. But I have already got a Master’s in China. Will I be rejected for this?

B.
I apply to a so-called structural Ph.D. program directly, such as In that case, do I need to contact a professor before making an application?

Are there any recommendation?​

I would look for PhD programs and ask the professors/contact persons - you do not have to do that (you can directly send an application - why not?), but usually this is a good idea. It can help to make the application better, and you are more than a random applicant then.

A second master is possible I guess, but I would avoid it - you have a MSc and research experience in the right field, that should be qualification enough for a PhD position.

I would look for PhD programs and ask the professors/contact persons - you do not have to do that (you can directly send an application - why not?), but usually this is a good idea. It can help to make the application better, and you are more than a random applicant then.

A second master is possible I guess, but I would avoid it - you have a MSc and research experience in the right field, that should be qualification enough for a PhD position.
Hello, mfb

Thank you so much for your advice. I found a Ph.D. student job advertisement that I may be interested in, and I plan to study on the project first and then contact the corresponding professor. Is that seemed a good way I could have a taste of the research before I come here? However, I am still worrying about the limited information I could get without an on-site visit. With that said, if I would like to attend a Master program in Germany and the main purpose is to find a research group that is suitable for me, what kind of program would you recommend?

Is that seemed a good way I could have a taste of the research before I come here?
I certainly does not harm to know the topics they are working on.
However, I am still worrying about the limited information I could get without an on-site visit.
An on-site visit is certainly interesting, but do you want to plan 2 years for that? Visiting Germany for a week would be cheaper than visiting it for 2 years.
what kind of program would you recommend?
No idea, I don't know nano-particles groups.

I certainly does not harm to know the topics they are working on.
An on-site visit is certainly interesting, but do you want to plan 2 years for that? Visiting Germany for a week would be cheaper than visiting it for 2 years.
No idea, I don't know nano-particles groups.
Your reply is very helpful to me. Thank you!