1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Looking for an Advanced How Things Work book

1. Jul 13, 2009 #1
    Looking for an Advanced "How Things Work" book

Hey, I was just wondering if anyone knew of a book that was like a "How things work" book but written for someone who has a bachelors in the physical sciences, engineering of applied math or some such? I'd settle for a website. Like what I'm looking for is a book that will say talk about how a car engine works (or how an LCD screen works,etc.) or some such and actually do a brief overview of the physics involved by actually doing the physics and deriving the pertinent relations.

It seems to me that there wouldn't be a huge reader base for such a book but I was just wondering if such a book had ever been written.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 17, 2009 #2
    Re: Looking for an Advanced "How Things Work" book

If there WAS such a thing it would either be:
    1. Each article is really short.
    2. An encyclopedia, and therefore, expensive.

Try this- http://www.howstuffworks.com/

4. Aug 7, 2009 #3

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Take a look at "How Things Work: The Physics of Everyday Life" by Louis Bloomfield.

5. Aug 7, 2009 #4

Pengwuino

Gold Member

I've thought about this too, it would be an interesting book. However, I also started thinking that to give a satisfactory explanation about how stuff works to the non-layman, the book might just be gigantic or only talk about a few things.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook