Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Looking for an analytical solution for a quadratic attractive potential well

1. May 11, 2010 #1
    I am trying to derive an equation of motion for a simple electrostatic potential well.

Imagine a scenario where an electron (or other charged particle) is released from an arbitrary distance from a fixed (unperturbable) attractive charge (say a proton fixed in space).

In 1 dimension, the force on the particle should be kq1q2/x2

Which should yield the following second order differential equation of motion

d2x/dt2=c/x2

or x''-x-2=0

I can't seem to find an analytical solution to this equation. I'm told that due to the singularity at x=0 it will have a transcendental solution?

thanks

2. jcsd
  3. May 11, 2010 #2

phyzguy

Science Advisor

The trick to solving equations like this one, where the independent variable t is not present, is to write
    x'' = x' dx'/dx. Then you have a first order equation involving x' and x. Collect terms in x' and x, then integrate both sides. Then solve for x', and integrate a second time. This will give you an analytic solution for this equation, although it will probably be more complicated than you like.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook