Looking for an equation related to lifting force of air

  • Level: Undergrad 
  • Thread starter Thread starter Paranemertes
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Air Force Lifting
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
Paranemertes
Messages
3
Reaction score
0
Hello,

I've been wondering for a while now how hot air balloonists figured out how big their balloons needed to be to lift themselves, the basket,the balloon itself, ect. Is there an equation that would tell me how much lifting force I could get out of x amount of air at x temperature, what volume that would take up, and maybe the pressure?

Thanks!
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I didn't read the document, but you can construct a basic model just by knowing two forces: the bouyancy force and the weight force.

(mass_basket+mass_balloon+mass_air_in_balloon)*g = Volume_balloon*g*density_surrounding_air

This equation would be for if the balloon were not accelerating up or down.
 
Yep, that is very similar to what this fine gentleman derived. Thanks!