Looking for an upper division mechanics book, any suggestions?

In summary, a student is looking for an approachable upper division mechanics book to get a head start on their upcoming course. They have a background in traditional mechanics, E&M, modern physics, and math, and are looking for suggestions on a suitable book. They mention that their university does not have books posted yet for the class and they do not know anyone who can provide recommendations. After confirming that upper division does refer to Lagrangian/Hamiltonian mechanics, the student mentions that the recommended book is Classical Mechanics by Taylor. They also provide links to previous discussions on the topic and recommend video lectures and notes for additional help.
skwissgaar
As the title says, I'm looking for an approachable upper division mechanics book. I'm starting my upper division come fall, and want to get a head start on this course.

Sone background: I've taken the traditional mechanics, E&M, and modern physics (light, waves, intro to relativity and quantum) and math including calc 1-3, linear algebra and differential equations. All courses at the lower division level.

Anyone have any suggestions on a book that my background is suitable for?

Physics news on Phys.org
What book will you be using? Why not that one?

Unfortunately, they don't have books posted yet for the class and won't for some time. I don't know anyone directly who might know as I'm a transfer to university.

Does Upper Division mean Lagrangian / Hamiltonian mechanics?

Darth Frodo said:
Does Upper Division mean Lagrangian / Hamiltonian mechanics?
Looking at the course description, yes.

This has been discussed many times before on the forum. You can find tons of relevant threads just by using the search function. Here is another thread to add on to Darth's suggestions if you want to see my opinion on the matter: https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=686877&highlight=mechanics Taylor is used rather ubiquitously amongst US universities for 2nd year mechanics.

1. What is an upper division mechanics book?

An upper division mechanics book is a book that covers advanced topics in mechanics, typically at the undergraduate or graduate level. It assumes a strong foundation in basic mechanics and covers more complex topics such as fluid mechanics, continuum mechanics, and advanced dynamics.

2. Why do I need an upper division mechanics book?

An upper division mechanics book is essential for students pursuing degrees in engineering, physics, or other related fields. It provides a deeper understanding of mechanics principles and prepares students for more advanced courses and research in these areas.

3. What are some suggested upper division mechanics books?

Some popular upper division mechanics books include "Classical Mechanics" by John R. Taylor, "Introduction to Classical Mechanics" by David Morin, and "Classical Dynamics of Particles and Systems" by Stephen T. Thornton and Jerry B. Marion. It is recommended to consult with your professor or academic advisor for specific recommendations.

4. Are there any free online resources for upper division mechanics?

Yes, there are many free online resources for upper division mechanics, such as lecture notes, video lectures, and problem sets. Some universities also make their course materials available online. Some recommended websites include MIT OpenCourseWare, Khan Academy, and Coursera.

5. How do I know if a particular upper division mechanics book is suitable for me?

It is important to consider your background knowledge and the level of difficulty of the book before choosing. You can also read reviews and browse through the table of contents to get an idea of the topics covered. Additionally, you can consult with your professor or peers for their recommendations and opinions.