1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Looking for an upper division mechanics book, any suggestions?

1. May 28, 2013 #1
    As the title says, I'm looking for an approachable upper division mechanics book. I'm starting my upper division come fall, and want to get a head start on this course.

Sone background: I've taken the traditional mechanics, E&M, and modern physics (light, waves, intro to relativity and quantum) and math including calc 1-3, linear algebra and differential equations. All courses at the lower division level.

Anyone have any suggestions on a book that my background is suitable for?

2. jcsd
  3. May 28, 2013 #2

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

What book will you be using? Why not that one?

4. May 28, 2013 #3
    Unfortunately, they don't have books posted yet for the class and won't for some time. I don't know anyone directly who might know as I'm a transfer to university.

5. May 28, 2013 #4
    Does Upper Division mean Lagrangian / Hamiltonian mechanics?

6. May 28, 2013 #5
    Looking at the course description, yes.

7. May 28, 2013 #6
  8. May 28, 2013 #7

WannabeNewton

Science Advisor

This has been discussed many times before on the forum. You can find tons of relevant threads just by using the search function. Here is another thread to add on to Darth's suggestions if you want to see my opinion on the matter: https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=686877&highlight=mechanics Taylor is used rather ubiquitously amongst US universities for 2nd year mechanics.

9. May 30, 2013 #8
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted