Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Looking for enterprise software solution

1. Jan 18, 2006 #1

DaveC426913

Gold Member

I'm exploring possible enterprise-level software solutions for event scheduling within our company.

I want a system that can be customized for our particular internal use. We use it to communicate about- administrate- and control- events surrounding our webcasts.

We are currently using eGroupWare (formerly phpGroupware). It is an Opensource solution using PHP and mysql to provide a framework of tools to produce application modules such as calendars, contact lists and event scheduling.

While it would be nice to stay with the existing system, it is not well documented or supported, and is hampering our efforts to expand.

Though I would like to stay with something PHP/mysql-based.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I might take a look at?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 18, 2006 #2

Evo

Staff: Mentor

You don't use outlook? I would think most big companies do, I've worked for 3 fortune 100 companies and that's what is used for event scheduling.

Really simple.

4. Jan 18, 2006 #3
    bah... outlook/exchange is lock-in-ware.

if you use the ical calendaring standard, you can use many different calendaring solutions...

I THINK Suse has an enterprise solution that is all OSS stuff, and Ximian has some stuff that might fit the bill.

Edit... woops, I forgot that Novell bought Suse and Ximian.... well, even better, you get a commercially supported system... you could use groupwise.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2006
  5. Jan 18, 2006 #4

Evo

Staff: Mentor

I was expecting a flood of outraged posts by now that I suggested Outlook. :tongue:

Groupwise is a good suggestion, I have one client that uses it, they're a small company and he likes it.

6. Jan 18, 2006 #5

dduardo

Staff Emeritus

Here are a couple of options:

http://www.phprojekt.com/
    http://www.opengroupware.org/

If you use opengroupware there is actually a plugin to have it work in ximian evolution

I'm sure you can find more online. All I did was a google search for "open source groupware"

7. Jan 19, 2006 #6

DaveC426913

Gold Member

OK, I'll look into Groupwise, phpprojekt and opengroupware. Thanks.
    I'll have to ensure that they are better solutions than the one I've currently got though. eg. if they suffer form lack of documentation or support the way eGroupWare does, then that won't be a good solution.
    Unfortunately, this is not my area of expertise, which is why I'll need good support to get off and running.
    I'm not sure what Suse or Zimian are. If it's not PHP/mysql on a (Linux)FreeBSD box, then I'll have trouble selling my IT guy on it.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2006
  8. Jan 19, 2006 #7

dduardo

Staff Emeritus

You can use Evolution on FreeBSD or Linux. It is just a client similar to Outlook (The full version). There is support for Colaboration servers like Exchange and Groupwise.

http://www.gnome.org/projects/evolution/

9. Jan 19, 2006 #8
    We are a >1billion $ company and we were using Groupwise.. not anymore tho, we use exchange/outlook.. works good

10. Jan 19, 2006 #9

graphic7

Gold Member

You may also want to take a look at Lotus Domino (Notes) or Sun's Java Communications Suite. I've seen both used by many, many Fortune 100 companies (obviously, Exchange is in that area, too). Sun's Java Communication Suite is now free for commerical usage (excluding support, if you desire -- I'd highly recommend it as the Communications Suite is rather complex and highly customizable to fit your needs):

http://www.sun.com/software/javaenterprisesystem/communications_suite/index.xml

Sun's Communications Suite does have a Red Hat Linux port, if you want to go the Linux route. I'd recommend a Solaris solution, though, if possible.

Disclaimer: I've worked with Lotus Domino, Sun's Communications Suite, and Solaris in the past.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2006
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?