Looking for forums about computer science books -- explanations and errata

In summary, I don't know of any computer science forum that has a focus on the following topics. If you are looking for an explanation of a certain topic, you should do a web search for it and see if someone else has a better explanation. If you are looking for an errata sheet for a CS book, you will not be able to find one online. The best way to check to make sure you understand something is to read it online and ask others if you have any questions. Finally, if you are looking for books that are used in colleges, you should look up what colleges are using them.
goahead97
TL;DR Summary
forum with reference to particular explanations provided by computer science books, papers, etc
Hello

Does anyone know any computer science forum that has a focus on the following topics?

- questions about the understanding of particular explanations provided by computer science books, papers, etc

- the possible errors these documents' contents might have and the corrections they might need

- sharing errata sheets of these documents

Thanks

Technology news on Phys.org
goahead97 said:
Does anyone know any computer science forum that has a focus on the following topics?
- questions about the understanding of particular explanations provided by computer science books, papers, etc
I'm not aware of any such forum. The best advice I can give is that when you find an explanation of some topic that isn't clear, do a web search for that topic and see if someone else gives a better explanation.
goahead97 said:
- the possible errors these documents' contents might have and the corrections they might need
Most computer science textbook publishers acknowledge that there might be typos, and ask readers to report them. They usually publish the URL of a site with errata for known errors. These usually appear in the front pages of the textbook.
goahead97 said:
- sharing errata sheets of these documents
I don't know of any sites that have lists of the errors in CS books. There are a lot of CS books out there, so it would be a daunting task to list the errata for exiting books and keep it updated with newly published books.

I am learning C++, I studied mostly on my own(not going to school) in all the subjects. I find the best way is to buy like 4 books in every subject I study. Not all books are good in explaining every topic in the matter, some books are good in one topic and sucks on the others, you have 4 books, it will give you a reasonable confidence on what you learn and understand.

Things particular in CS are changing everyday, books that first come out must be full of mistakes, typos and all, good luck in getting an errata, they just publish a later edition to try to correct the mistakes.

Also, go on line and read, that's the best way to double check. don't waste time looking for authors putting out erratas. The changes are so fast by the time the erratas are out, it's obsoleted already!Last but not the least, if you buy books, don't look at Amazon ratings, look up what colleges are using. If it is for learning, ask community colleges and not the famous universities, chances are the books they use are better and easier for self studying.

Last edited:

1. What is the purpose of forums about computer science books?

Forums about computer science books serve as a platform for discussing and sharing information about various computer science books, including explanations and errata. They allow individuals to connect with others who have read the same books and exchange ideas and insights.

2. How can I find forums about computer science books?

You can find forums about computer science books by searching online or asking for recommendations from fellow computer science enthusiasts. Some popular forums include Reddit's r/computersciencebooks, Stack Overflow's Books forum, and Goodreads' Computer Science Book Club.

3. What types of discussions can I expect to find on these forums?

Discussions on forums about computer science books can range from general book reviews and recommendations to specific discussions about concepts, theories, and errors found in a particular book. You may also find discussions on related topics such as programming languages, algorithms, and data structures.

4. Are there any rules or guidelines for participating in these forums?

Each forum may have its own set of rules and guidelines, so it is important to read and follow them before participating. In general, be respectful and avoid sharing any inappropriate or offensive content. Additionally, make sure to stay on topic and contribute constructively to the discussions.

5. Can I ask for help with understanding a concept or correcting an error on these forums?

Yes, most forums welcome questions and discussions about specific concepts or errors found in computer science books. However, make sure to do your own research and provide as much context as possible when asking for help. It is also considered good etiquette to thank those who assist you and provide updates on your progress.