1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to find reaction conversions and selectivities?

1. May 5, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    My design assignment gives the information of reaction kinetics and the reaction chain but not selectivities and conversions. I was told to find those information from scientific articles. I've found some but not really sure how to use them.

2. Relevant equations
    96j6h2.png

3. The attempt at a solution
    I've found some articles but not sure how to apply and interpret them properly to design the reactor and calculate mass and energy balances. Not sure if any chemical engineer is a member here but I wanted to find some help on this helpful forum. Thanks in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. May 5, 2016 #2
    What kind of reactor is it? What are the inlet flows. What are the inlet temperatures?

4. May 5, 2016 #3
    1462469777_design1.png

1462469814_design2.png

1462469845_design3.png

5. May 5, 2016 #4
    Thanks for your interest professor we think of a fluidized bed reactor but assignment doesn't give us the info about conversions and selectivities if I use other articles and published researches they will have other kinetics and such. What am I supposed to do? Thanks a lot...

Last edited: May 5, 2016
  6. May 5, 2016 #5
    I will calculate inlet flow later on becuase we need to know the conversions and selectivities to calculate that first.

7. May 5, 2016 #6
    This is way too big a problem to give you advice within the framework of Physics Forums. Have you drawn a preliminary flow sheet yet? Do have any ideas on how to design the reactor?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted