Looking for literature on a basic topic

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of separation of variables, which involves rearranging a derivative and integrating both sides to solve a differential equation. The method is commonly taught in ODE (ordinary differential equations) classes and can also be found in calculus books. However, there is limited literature on the motivation behind this method. The conversation also provides an example of how separation of variables is used to solve a differential equation for an RC circuit.
mindheavy
I've taken differential and integral calculus, and have a fair understanding of the material at this point. Last semester I had a professor show something in class that I feel is a pretty basic idea, I just haven't thought about working things in such a way.

He put a derivative on the board such as the one for instantaneous current in a circuit. He went on to say "you may have not seen this before or knew that you are allowed to do this" and rearranged the formula to then integrate both sides and end up with a new equation.

It is this method I'm interested in. I wonder if there is any material out there that explains this way of rearranging a derivative for example and coming up with new equations by integrating both sides, it's a newish idea to me and want to read more about how or why that works, the motive of it.

I haven't had much luck searching for any literature on it, maybe I don't know how to phrase the search term well enough.

Physics news on Phys.org
It's called separation of variables and is taught in any ODE class, and sometimes toward the end of calculus books. I don't know where you could read about the motivation though, but how to do it, for sure.

Thanks, this explains why I don't know much about it; I'm just now starting vector calculus, am taking Diff. Eq. next semester.

I have a name to go by now, separation of variables, thanks!

This sounds to me like he solved a differential equation.

Differential equations are equations involving the derivatives of an unknown function, often with some initial or boundary conditions, and solving them means to find the unknown function that fits the additional conditions.

For example, I would suspect your teacher did something like that (this is the differential equation for an RC circuit with no input voltage, like a discharging capacitor):
[itex]
R\frac{dQ}{dt} + \frac{Q}{C} = 0 \\
R\frac{dQ}{dt} = -\frac{Q}{C} \\
[/itex]
divide by Q: [itex]\frac{1}{Q}\frac{dQ}{dt} = -\frac{1}{RC}\\
[/itex]
integrate both sides: [itex] \int_{t_0}^{t}\frac{1}{Q}\frac{dQ}{dt}dt = \int_{t_0}^{t}-\frac{1}{RC}dt[/itex]
use chain rule: [itex]\frac{1}{Q}\frac{dQ}{dt} = \frac{d}{dt}(\ln(Q))\\
\int_{t_0}^{t}\frac{d}{dt}(\ln(Q))dt = \int_{t_0}^{t}-\frac{1}{RC}dt = -\frac{t-t_0}{RC}[/itex]
use Fundamental Theorem of Calculus:[itex]\int_{t_0}^{t}\frac{d}{dt}(\ln(Q))dt = \ln(Q)-\ln(Q_0) = \ln(\frac{Q}{Q_0})[/itex]

so [itex]\ln(\frac{Q}{Q_0}) = -\frac{t-t_0}{RC}[/itex]
[itex]Q = Q_0e^{-\frac{t-t_0}{RC}}[/itex]

thanks Boorglar! I will work through this when I have some time later, this is starting to give me a bit of a grasp of differential equations, seems like the diff eq class will be very useful!

1. What is the best way to search for literature on a basic topic?

The best way to search for literature on a basic topic is to start with a broad search using relevant keywords. Then, filter the results by using specific terms and refining the search criteria. Additionally, you can use databases and search engines specific to your field of study.

2. How do I know if a source is credible?

To determine the credibility of a source, you can consider the author's credentials, the publication date, and if the source is peer-reviewed. You can also check if the source is from a reputable publisher or organization, and if it is cited by other credible sources.

3. Can I use websites as sources for my literature review?

It is not recommended to solely rely on websites as sources for your literature review. However, you can use websites from reputable sources, such as government agencies, educational institutions, and professional organizations, as supplementary information. It is important to critically evaluate the information found on websites.

4. How do I organize the literature I find?

You can organize the literature you find by creating an annotated bibliography, using a citation management tool, or using a note-taking system. It is also helpful to categorize the literature based on the main themes or topics.

5. Is it necessary to read every source I find?

No, it is not necessary to read every source you find. You can skim through the abstract or introduction of a source to determine if it is relevant and useful for your research. You can also prioritize sources based on their credibility and relevance to your topic.