Discover the Best Lightweight QFT Introductions for Self-Study

In summary, a software expert with a background in physics and mathematics is looking for a lightweight introduction to quantum field theory. They have some experience in QM and basic relativity and are seeking recommendations for textbooks that cover the necessary math and physics topics. Other forum members suggest various textbooks and advise brushing up on Lagrangian and Hamiltonian mechanics, contour integration, Hilbert spaces, Fourier transforms, and groups before delving into QFT. It is noted that group theory is not typically well covered in undergraduate physics programs, but is important for understanding QFT.
compsciconvert
I was a denizen of this forum some 15 years ago during undergrad. However I since joined the dark side working in software on ML, AI, and distributed data processing.

Every now and then I pick up a physics textbook to get into the weeds of a topic I would have missed due to skipping out on grad school. I'd like for QFT to be the next topic I tackle in this manner but unfortunately I haven't had much luck finding the right resource.

Is there a good list of lightweight QFT introductions that folks have found beneficial? I'm mainly looking to familiarize myself with the theory enough to understand the mathematics in detail along with core research problems in the field - but I will probably only take on a practice problem or two at most.

Physics news on Phys.org
What is your background? Especially in QM and math methods.

I've done 2 grad semesters of QM and 2 grad semesters of Mechanics. I've kept my math reasonably up to date due to my job. My contour integration is weak, but my differential geometry, linear algebra, and PDE skills are still fairly sharp.

If QM and basic relativity are no problem, I would recommend Maggiore's A Modern Introduction to Quantum Field Theory. It provides a thorough introduction, has many worked out examples and (!) solutions to problems after each chapter in the back.

Likes vanhees71
compsciconvert said:
I've done 2 grad semesters of QM and 2 grad semesters of Mechanics. I've kept my math reasonably up to date due to my job. My contour integration is weak, but my differential geometry, linear algebra, and PDE skills are still fairly sharp.
There's also "QFT for the Gifted Amateur" by Lancaster and Blundell. Assuming you are sufficiently gifted.

Likes Daverz, vanhees71 and Demystifier
Srednicki is king!

Your QFT textbooks you can profitably choose depend on your physics/math background.

Mechanics: You should revise (if needed) Lagrangian and Hamiltonian stuff. No in-depth details, but you should eventually feel very comfortable with quick calculations. Level similar to Goldstein's Chapter 12 (2nd ed.).

Mathematics: Contour integration, Hilbert spaces, Fourier transforms, and groups are all "must" topics. You can't finish a single page without being sufficiently good at them.

Provided that your special relativity and quantum mechanics background is good, I think you can start with any standard textbook on QFT. More math will be presented to you as you're reading your book.

One final piece of advice: Start with canonical commutators rather than path integrals for field quantization; the latter is modern and powerful, but the former better syncs with QM.

Both Maggiore and Srednicki mentioned by others are very good textbooks.

Likes vanhees71 and malawi_glenn
apostolosdt said:
Mathematics: Contour integration, Hilbert spaces, Fourier transforms, and groups are all "must" topics. You can't finish a single page without being sufficiently good at them.
How much explicit training in group theory do most physics graduate students have before their first QFT course? Is it taught in most undergraduate programs nowadays?

From talking to my undergraduate physics major friends when I was in university about 20 years ago: Most of them had heard group theory mentioned as something "they'd see later" in connection with symmetry, but were never exposed to the group axioms, representation theory, or anything beyond a little handwaving about symmetry. That's during their entire undergraduate educations for physics bachelor of science. This is a small sample size in both people and universities, from about a half-decade period 20 years ago, so /shrug.

None of my personal friends went on to PhD programs in physics, so I don't have any secondhand experience with those programs back then.

I'm just curious about the current expectations. Maybe a little group theory is nearly always taught in undergraduate math methods now?

The Bill said:
How much explicit training in group theory do most physics graduate students have before their first QFT course? Is it taught in most undergraduate programs nowadays?
It's always too little. If you really want to understand the details of "why relativistic QFT looks the way it looks" you have to self-study this important topic. A very good book for this is

R. U. Sexl and H. K. Urbantke, Relativity, Groups, Particles, Springer, Wien (2001).

The Bill said:
From talking to my undergraduate physics major friends when I was in university about 20 years ago: Most of them had heard group theory mentioned as something "they'd see later" in connection with symmetry, but were never exposed to the group axioms, representation theory, or anything beyond a little handwaving about symmetry. That's during their entire undergraduate educations for physics bachelor of science. This is a small sample size in both people and universities, from about a half-decade period 20 years ago, so /shrug.
Usually nowadays most professors teach Noether's theorem in the analytical-mechanics lecture at least, but as I said usually group theory is not well covered in the standard course lectures.
The Bill said:
None of my personal friends went on to PhD programs in physics, so I don't have any secondhand experience with those programs back then.

I'm just curious about the current expectations. Maybe a little group theory is nearly always taught in undergraduate math methods now?
That would indeed by highly desirable but unfortunately it's usually not done in the standard math curriculum for physicists either :-(.

Likes The Bill
The Bill said:
How much explicit training in group theory do most physics graduate students have before their first QFT course? Is it taught in most undergraduate programs nowadays? [...] Maybe a little group theory is nearly always taught in undergraduate math methods now?
I can't disagree with these comments. I assumed that compsciconvert, having said that he had completed two semesters in QM and two in Mechanics, both at the graduate level, had been exposed to some basic topics in symmetries and groups.

Groups and intro to representation theory are sometimes taught during senior year as topics in math methods in physics classes, at least in European universities offering four- or five-year curricula.

Likes The Bill and vanhees71
vanhees71 said:
R. U. Sexl and H. K. Urbantke, Relativity, Groups, Particles, Springer, Wien (2001).
Very interesting book, thank you for pointing it out.

Likes vanhees71
You can check out the excellent lecture notes of David Tong. I also like For The Gifted Amateur; if that's too complicated, you probably should spend your time differently ;)

I also love Zee's book on Group Theory. He emphasises intuition instead of technical details, which for me personally is the best road to travel. It's actually fun to read.

Likes Demystifier and vanhees71
My newest favorite as an introductory textbook:

B. G. Chen et al (Eds.), Quantum Field Theory Lectures of Sidney Coleman, World Scientific (2019)

It's really "as simple as possible but not simpler"!

Last edited:
vanhees71 said:

B. G. Chen et al (Eds.), Quantum Field Theory Lectures of Bryan Coleman, World Scientific (2019)

Sidney, not Bryan :smile:

Likes vanhees71
Of course, how did I come up with this? :-(. I've corrected it in the previous posting.

Likes DrClaude
vanhees71 said:

B. G. Chen et al (Eds.), Quantum Field Theory Lectures of Sidney Coleman, World Scientific (2019)

Despite my (extensive) level of ignorance of QFT, may I note that the 1975/6 series of Sidney Coleman lectures can be found here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IRDpW7QOyGw&list=PLXjpiiAr8QGJlbPobSQBndPEx7lqV5xD0
Unfortunately the image quality is poor and the writing on the blackboard is generally impossible to read.

Also, notes by Brian Hill, - edited by Chen and Ting - for the first half of the 1986/7 lecture series can be found here: https://arxiv.org/pdf/1110.5013.pdf

Likes vanhees71
Steve4Physics said:
Despite my (extensive) level of ignorance of QFT, may I note that the 1975/6 series of Sidney Coleman lectures can be found here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IRDpW7QOyGw&list=PLXjpiiAr8QGJlbPobSQBndPEx7lqV5xD0
Unfortunately the image quality is poor and the writing on the blackboard is generally impossible to read.
Yes, someone should finally start working on a remastered version of these video lectures, instead of producing yet another blu-ray extended super-duper edition of "you_name_it" from the "year_X".

1. What is QFT?

QFT stands for quantum field theory, which is a theoretical framework used to describe the behavior of particles at the subatomic level. It combines the principles of quantum mechanics and special relativity to explain how particles interact with each other.

2. Why is it important to study QFT?

QFT is a fundamental theory in physics that helps us understand the fundamental building blocks of the universe. It is used to explain a wide range of phenomena, from the behavior of atoms to the structure of the universe.

3. What are some good lightweight QFT introductions for self-study?

Some popular lightweight QFT introductions for self-study include "Quantum Field Theory for the Gifted Amateur" by Tom Lancaster and Stephen J. Blundell, "A First Course in Quantum Field Theory" by Amitabha Lahiri and Palash B. Pal, and "Quantum Field Theory Demystified" by David McMahon.

4. How can I approach self-study of QFT?

It is recommended to have a strong background in undergraduate-level physics and mathematics before diving into self-study of QFT. It is also helpful to have a good understanding of classical mechanics, electromagnetism, and special relativity. It is important to start with a good introductory textbook and to supplement your learning with online resources and practice problems.

5. What are some applications of QFT?

QFT has many applications in modern physics, including particle physics, condensed matter physics, and cosmology. It is used to study the behavior of subatomic particles, the properties of materials, and the evolution of the universe. It also has practical applications in technology, such as in the development of quantum computers and advanced materials.