Looking for QM book on symmetry and groups

In summary,There are several books that can be recommended for someone looking for a book on symmetry in quantum mechanics. The first book is "Physics from Symmetry" by Schwichtenberg. The next book is "Quantum Mechanics: Symmetries" by Greiner. The book "Symmetry and the Standard Model" by Robinson covers the topic in more detail.
dyn
Hi. I am looking for a QM book that covers symmetry , time-reversal , angular momentum representations in SO(3). I have a few books and most of them don't have much detail on these subjects.The main one that does is Sakurai. Any other suggestions ?
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
dyn said:
Hi. I am looking for a QM book that covers symmetry , time-reversal , angular momentum representations in SO(3). I have a few books and most of them don't have much detail on these subjects.The main one that does is Sakurai. Any other suggestions ?
Thanks
This is not a QM book that covers symmetry but a symmetry book that covers QM - an excellent book
Physics from Symmetry - Schwichtenberg
https://www.amazon.com/dp/3319192000/?tag=pfamazon01-20

The springer site has preview.
http://www.springer.com/us/book/9783319192000

Greiner has a book on that topic that I never read
Quantum Mechanics: Symmetries - Greiner
https://www.amazon.com/dp/3540580808/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Also, check out the following book
Symmetry and the Standard Model - Robinson
https://www.amazon.com/dp/1441982663/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes dyn
Likes dyn
dyn said:
Thanks

There is an old one like 1970 by the Italians Fonda and Ghirardi published by Marcel Dekker. It contains a lot of material and explanations.

Likes dyn
Hi, I suggest also the book of Gilmore

'' Lie groups, Lie algebras and some of their applications''

Likes vanhees71
Symmetry Principles and Magnetic Symmetry in Solid State Physics, Joshua (I call it baby Tinkham).

Tinkham

Group Theory in Physics, Wu-Ki Tung.

Joshua hits it from a basic viewpoint and has the answers in the back for self study, then work thru Tinkham. Wu-Ki Tung gives all the Lie Groups info you need for QFT, then you can go on from there.

Likes dyn

1. What is the best textbook for learning about symmetry and groups in quantum mechanics?

There are many excellent textbooks on this topic, but some popular choices include "Symmetry and Spectroscopy: An Introduction to Vibrational and Electronic Spectroscopy" by Daniel C. Harris and Michael D. Bertolucci, "Symmetry in Chemistry" by David W. H. Rankin, Norbert M. M. Nussbaumer, and Carole A. Morrison, and "Group Theory in Chemistry and Spectroscopy: A Simple Guide to Advanced Usage" by Boris S. Tsukerblat.

2. Are there any online resources for learning about symmetry and groups in quantum mechanics?

Yes, there are many online resources available for learning about symmetry and groups in quantum mechanics. Some useful websites include Symmetry@Otterbein, which provides interactive tutorials and exercises, and the International Tables for Crystallography, which offers comprehensive information and resources on symmetry and group theory.

3. How important is understanding symmetry and groups in quantum mechanics?

Understanding symmetry and groups is crucial for understanding many fundamental concepts in quantum mechanics, such as the behavior of particles and the properties of molecules. It also has practical applications in fields such as chemistry, physics, and materials science.

4. Are there any real-life examples of symmetry and groups in quantum mechanics?

Yes, there are many real-life examples of symmetry and groups in quantum mechanics. For instance, the periodic table of elements is based on the symmetry of the electronic structure of atoms, and the properties of crystals can be understood through the application of group theory. Additionally, the behavior of subatomic particles is governed by the symmetries of their quantum states.

5. Is it necessary to have a strong mathematical background to understand symmetry and groups in quantum mechanics?

While a basic understanding of mathematics is helpful, it is not necessary to have a strong mathematical background to understand symmetry and groups in quantum mechanics. Many textbooks and online resources provide clear explanations and examples that do not require advanced mathematical knowledge. However, a deeper understanding of the underlying mathematical concepts can be beneficial in fully grasping the complexities of symmetry and group theory in quantum mechanics.