Looking for some info on Saturn V rocket launch

In summary, the author is looking for information on the launch of the Saturn V rocket, and is looking for academic and general sources to help him with his project.
QuantumCurt
Education Advisor
Hey everyone. I was hoping I could get some assistance locating some material to research on the launch of the Saturn V rocket. I'm doing my honors project for calculus 1 on rocket launches, and I'm going to be focusing on the Saturn V.

I'm going to do an in depth analysis on the forces required to launch the variable mass rocket beyond the atmosphere. It should make for a fun project. I'm going to have to cover integration before we get to it in class, and I'll have to pick up some of the basics of differential equations, but I think it should be very doable. My calculus professor seems very enthusiastic about working with me on it.

I need to locate some research material on it though. The current government shutdown is posing as a problem, because all of the NASA sites are down. Presumably I would be able to find all the information I needed amongst their various sites, but given that this isn't an option currently, I need to find some alternate sources.

Anyone have any recommendations? I'd also love any input or suggestions in general that pertain to this project.

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, I looked at both of those. And several others.

I was hoping to find something a bit more academic than Wikipedia. I can't exactly use that as a source in my project.

I'm also looking for some more general information on the physics of rocket launches in general. I've searched quite a bit, and haven't been able to find a whole lot. I need to find some other sources that go into the actual mathematics of rocket launches...rather than just clusters of specs and data. I realize that the actual physics is really just an application of Newton's 2nd Law, but researching some mathematics that are similar to what I'm going to be doing would likely be rather beneficial.

I did find this, which is pretty helpful.

http://www.real-world-physics-problems.com/rocket-physics.html

Sorry if I asked a simple question. I'm simply looking for some guidance, and hoping to be pointed towards some good academic sources that I can use in this project.

If you search the threads at PF, I'm sure you could find example calculations others have done as HW.

I still think you could use Wiki articles to help point you in the right direction. If the article is good, there will be sources and references at the bottom of the article.

For your particular task, you might google 'rocket launch physics' or 'Tsiolkovsky rocket equation'.

Learning how to search is often more important than what comes out of the search. Don't get discouraged if what you are looking for doesn't come at the top of the first search page. You might have to do some digging.

Hello! I can definitely understand your interest in researching the launch of the Saturn V rocket. It is a fascinating topic and I'm sure your project will be very interesting.

I would suggest starting your research by looking at peer-reviewed articles and scientific journals. These sources will provide you with reliable and accurate information on the forces required to launch the Saturn V rocket. You can also search for books or online resources from reputable sources such as space agencies, universities, and research institutions.

Since the current government shutdown has limited access to NASA's websites, you can also try reaching out to experts in the field. They may have access to information and resources that are not available to the public. You can also try contacting your local library or university for assistance in finding relevant materials.

In terms of your project, it is great that you are already thinking about integrating calculus and differential equations. I would also suggest looking into the physics behind rocket launches, such as Newton's laws of motion and the principles of propulsion. These concepts will help you understand the forces involved in launching a rocket.

Overall, my advice would be to make sure you are using reliable and credible sources for your research. Also, don't hesitate to reach out to experts and professors for guidance and advice. Best of luck with your project!

What is a Saturn V rocket?

A Saturn V rocket is a type of heavy-lift launch vehicle that was used by NASA in the Apollo program to send astronauts to the Moon. It is the tallest, heaviest, and most powerful rocket ever built, standing at 363 feet tall, weighing 6.2 million pounds, and capable of generating 7.5 million pounds of thrust.

When was the first Saturn V rocket launched?

The first Saturn V rocket was launched on November 9, 1967, as part of the Apollo 4 mission. This was an unmanned test flight to demonstrate the rocket's capabilities and gather data for future manned missions.

What was the purpose of the Saturn V rocket?

The Saturn V rocket was developed specifically for the Apollo program, with the goal of sending astronauts to the Moon. It was able to carry the necessary equipment, such as the Apollo spacecraft and lunar module, to complete this mission.

How many Saturn V rockets were launched?

A total of 13 Saturn V rockets were launched between 1967 and 1973, including 6 manned missions to the Moon. The final launch was the Apollo 17 mission in December 1972, making it the last time humans have traveled beyond low Earth orbit.

What is the current status of the Saturn V rocket?

The Saturn V rocket is no longer in use, as the Apollo program ended in 1975. However, there are a few surviving rockets on display in museums, including the Kennedy Space Center Visitor Complex in Florida and the Johnson Space Center in Texas.