Looking for suggestions for software on a new tablet

In summary, the conversation discusses the speaker's decision to get a new tablet with Windows 10 and their concerns about compatibility, support, and software issues with their old tablet. They also seek advice on which version of Office to get and whether Windows Defender is enough for protection or if they need additional security software. There is also a discussion about using a third-party email client and the speaker's experience with different antivirus software. The conversation concludes with the speaker mentioning their decision to use AVG free and looking into the Windows 10 operating system.
Rive
Science Advisor
TL;DR Summary
Needs help to set up software on a new Win10 tablet
My old tablet is still working, but since there are no updates for years and it stuck at running some Android 4.xx system, there are problems piling up: incompatibility, lack of support, weird problems with software and so on. So I've decided to get a new one, this time with Win10 - I can still move to Linux later on once the support runs out.

Finally, I got the shinny new thing: 4GB RAM, 64GB EMCC, quad core Atom CPU.

It is just ... well, the last time I had a Windows to manage it was when Windows XP were considered new and cool, you see... :oldbiggrin:

After some digging throughout the Internet I've decided for Firefox and Thunderbird as browsing and emails. But I still don't know if that defender thing coming with the system will be enough for protection or do I need something more serious these days?
Also, which version of Office? I can get 2016 or 2019 either, but will there be any hardware limitation?

Any advice, recommendation or experience to share, please?

Computer science news on Phys.org
Rive said:
But I still don't know if that defender thing coming with the system will be enough for protection or do I need something more serious these days?

I look forward to hearing the answer to that. I've read that the Win 10 firewall is very good, and that commercial antivirus is no longer needed with Win 10. But there are many who deeply distrust Microsoft and think of dependence on MS software as the same as no protection at all.

Here's what happened last time I mentioned it.

symbolipoint said:
anorlunda

Some of us have gone without protection & security software and had some bad infection experiences. That was how we know why to use something. Kind of like trying to go a couple of years without an influenza vaccination; the likelihood of getting influenza is much increased and soon enough, maybe one or two years, you get the disease, and you learn, next time and the times after, get your yearly flu vaccination to avoid the problem. The difference is that an infection on the computer does not go away on its own but the flu eventually will, although the disease can cause other problems.

Anorlunda
Regardless of the quote of what I commented comparing to flu vax, what I have read online in forums is that Windows 10 with its current Windows Defender is good/very good protection so that users do not need (most users) to use any other protection-security product in place of it.

Likes anorlunda
Rive said:
But I still don't know if that defender thing coming with the system will be enough for protection or do I need something more serious these days?

anorlunda said:
I look forward to hearing the answer to that. I've read that the Win 10 firewall is very good, and that commercial antivirus is no longer needed with Win 10.

I wouldn't believe that for an instant ... yes, it catches lots, but my Malwarebytes catches so much more
over and above what Win Defender does

anorlunda said:
But there are many who deeply distrust Microsoft and think of dependence on MS software as the same as no protection at all.

I definitely distrust MS ... past bad experiences account for thatAfter many years of use, I have recently decided not to renew my AVG antivirus software that I had been using on and off for quite some years.
So now Win Defender and Malwarebytes are the two I rely on. I only hope that ditching AVG
wasnt a mistakeDave

Rive said:
In my Win 10 laptop, I have only Windows Security working till now. When I was asking for guidance for software for the laptop, members here had advised me to install Malwarebytes with Win Security. But it was costly, so I am relying only on the latter for now.

Another reason for not choosing any other antivirus program was that I was having severe trouble while installing MikTex on my Win 7 32-bit desktop, as the antivirus QuickHeal continuously interfered with the installation process. I had a word with the shop, and they said that Windows Security is quite good these days and can be trusted. But you will have to ensure that it gets updates regularly.

That being said, Win Security seems to be working fine (at least I will assume so until there is a virus infestation).
Rive said:
After some digging throughout the Internet I've decided for Firefox and Thunderbird as browsing and emails.
Do you actually need an email client? I feel that if you can do your work by loading the email from the browser, why allow a third party software to read your emails?

Whrichek Basu,

Do you mean "Windows Defender" for "Windows Security"?

symbolipoint said:
Whrichek Basu,

Do you mean "Windows Defender" for "Windows Security"?
Windows Defender was renamed to Windows Security in Win 10.

Wrichik Basu said:
Do you actually need an email client? I feel that if you can do your work by loading the email from the browser, why allow a third party software to read your emails?
It is due the SW load. I don't know what those guys at google did with gmail, but even my desktop computer feels the load from their client-in-browser-monster thing: with the resources of this tablet I definitely don't want it running in browser, no way. One or two more 'developments' and it'll be barely enough for checking my emails that way.

It is the same for security program. I'll pick something that is sure already since reinstalling system for this tablet is quite a task as it seems: but looking for something lightweight (but still decent) and free.

Last edited:
Wrichik Basu said:
Windows Defender was renamed to Windows Security in Win 10.
I thought I remembered this differently. Some online internet search should be in order. Maybe also looking into my own operating Windows 10.

Some follow up: it got an AVG free. The CPU load is definitely noticeable, but then I've killed all the fancy screen gizmo and effect, and now it is even faster than before.
What a stupid world. The default cosmetics eats up more than the extra safety.

The Firefox and the Thunderbird are also working: as I thought, gmail through the browser makes the whole thing wanting to faint. Long Live Thunderbird!

Next is the Office, but I'll do that at weekend. Guess it'll take a day or more to beat it to working shape :doh:

Thanks for all the advice and comment!

1. Can you recommend any specific software for productivity on a new tablet?

There are many great options for productivity software on tablets, such as Microsoft Office, Google Docs, and Evernote. It ultimately depends on your personal preferences and needs.

2. What are some popular software options for creative tasks on a new tablet?

If you are looking to do creative tasks on your tablet, some popular options include Adobe Creative Suite, Procreate, and Autodesk SketchBook. Again, the best software for you will depend on your specific needs and preferences.

3. Is there any free software available for tablets?

Yes, there are many free software options available for tablets. Some popular ones include Google Drive, Dropbox, and OpenOffice. It's always a good idea to do some research and read reviews before downloading any free software to ensure it meets your needs.

4. Can I use the same software on my tablet as I do on my computer?

In most cases, yes, you can use the same software on your tablet as you do on your computer. However, some software may have different versions or may not be optimized for use on a tablet. It's best to check with the software provider before purchasing or downloading.

5. What software do you recommend for note-taking on a tablet?

For note-taking on a tablet, some popular options include Evernote, Microsoft OneNote, and Google Keep. It's also worth considering the built-in note-taking apps that come with your tablet, as they may have all the features you need.